Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:16 PM   #26
brandonD101
macrumors member

you can get a set of precision screw drivers from a hardware store for about $5 if you get them from a RC shop or get some "special" iphone tool you will be paying more im sure
brandonD101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:21 PM   #27
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstop111 View Post
I have purchased the one on ifixit for the mac air that claims to work for the IP4. Let me be the first to say that it is not the correct one. They refunded my money as soon as I let them know. This is a very small screwdriver that is not being manufactured by anyone yet. If anyone finds where to get it , please let me know. It is smaller than the t3 ones.. I also got some on ebay and they also were too large.
Great glad to know i bought the wrong one. Why is ifix selling it and claiming it works for the iphone 4 new screws emailing them right now
DEE9299 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:43 AM   #28
xtrem
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinb View Post
It is a philips 00, I have changed all 6 iPhone 4's backs in our family with no problem...
NO! the newer iPhone 4 has pentagram screws. Its all over the internet
xtrem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:59 AM   #29
soungz
macrumors newbie

Pentalobe-Screwdriver- size TS1
or Philloip - Screwdriver- size 00
Would be cover all generation of Iphone.
You can also look in the ebay or amazon to get one.
soungz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 06:08 PM   #30
roy g
macrumors newbie

I use a Husky brand screwdriver size PH 000, I have found out that size 00 will strip your screw heads. You need to look at the package for size PH 000 @ any hardware store. I found mine at Home Depot. Only one package had size 000 out of about 50 sets.
roy g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 11:03 PM   #31
Ray-
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by soungz View Post
Pentalobe-Screwdriver- size TS1
or Philloip - Screwdriver- size 00
Would be cover all generation of Iphone.
You can also look in the ebay or amazon to get one.
soungz is correct. Make sure you take a look of what type screws you have before you stick something in there or else you risk stripping the heads and they'll be stuck in there forever!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:48 AM   #32
ElZeus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray- View Post
soungz is correct. Make sure you take a look of what type screws you have before you stick something in there or else you risk stripping the heads and they'll be stuck in there forever!
This. I didn't pay attention one time on the iPhone 4 and stripped one screw.
ElZeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:46 AM   #33
noxidrw
macrumors newbie

Special Screw driver for Apple Products

The pentalobe screw driver is what Apple has switched over to, the size is 1.2 for iPhone 4 and some fasteners within the Apple Laptops.

They are not as redily available as normal Philips and slotted or even torx. They are typically used as tamper resistant fasteners.

Just because a small slotted or Phillips will work, does not mean it should be recommended. Use the right tool for the job.

These can be purchased online, I have seen them on ebay for about $7.
noxidrw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:02 PM   #34
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Actually, in 2013 they are readily available. If you don't have the nesseary tools already, just pick up a 9-piece kit for $5 with both the pentalobular star bit and philips #00, and you're good to go. Of course, a PicoFinish screwdriver will give you a whole different experience, though.
Thumb resize.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:44 PM   #35
tdtran1025
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexi View Post
Its definitely not a philips screw head, you just need to look at it to see that. Its a five pointed shape which is a TORX, which is used by apple in nearly everything they make. Size would be a 5 or a 6 I would guess as I haven't got my TORXs at hand.

A philips screwdriver wouldn't work, you could try a flat headed precision screwdriver if you couldn't be bothered to get the correct one, however you might find it hard to get the right size.
Correct. However, 5 or 6 is still too big. I bought a 4 and it's still too big. I am going to order T-1, T-2, and T-3 this time. Other people are wrong and have never taken one apart.
tdtran1025 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 05:28 PM   #36
JerryGreiner
macrumors newbie

The screwdriver is a pentalobe P2. It looks like a Torx, but only has 5 points.
JerryGreiner is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories