Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Hi

This problem just started happening on my 2005 Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3Ghz Processors.

I activate sleep, and it refuses to wake up again. Then after a few minutes the fans slowly increase in speed until the computer begins to sound like an aeroplane taking off, at which point I'm forced to perform a forced shutdown.

I've resetted the PMU and it doesn't seem to have worked. It is fully up-to-date in Software Update and is running the latest version of OS X Leopard.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Reset PRAM, but I doubt that it'll help (anyway, worth to try).
It could be few reasons of this behavior: failing graphics card, PSU or logic board. Do extended Hardware test.
Is it Early 2005 or Late 2005?
In Late 2005 you can easily test graphics card: remove it, boot your Mac (yes, it will boot w/o gfx), wait some time to system fully load. Next put machine to sleep with power button, wait some time for deep sleep, then wake it (by mouse, kbd or power btn).

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Thanks for your replies, I'm running a hardware test now. One interesting thing I've just noticed however, is that System Profiler seems to think that there's '1 CPU' in the computer. It should be 2 as it is a dual-processor Mac (not dual core). Could this be it? Thanks again!! :)

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
Have a look also at the error messages in the system logs. I think you'll find them in the Console app. Most of my wake from sleep issues like the one you have have been caused by USB devices behaving badly, and that would show up in the logs.

But your missing CPU does sound fishy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.