Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I seems to me this would not have escaped Apple's testing of the iPhone 4. I think the reason they were selling the bumper was to try and hide the reception issue. The only mistake they made was making the bumper to expensive. If they had priced the bumper at $14.99 I think alot more people would have bought them and maybe this would not be such an issue. Also what are they waiting for as far as giving out free bumpers. If they had given out the free bumpers when the issue had first occured I think most people would be fine with it and maybe they could have avoided a recall. If they would have given out free bumpers maybe consumer reports does not put the phone on the don't recommend list. Seems like apple is making alot of silly mistakes they don't usally make when it comes to new products.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I think they did. I also think they should have just highlighted as part of the design, that area should be avoided. People would have bitched for 2 weeks, forgot about it, the phone would release and then people would already know.

When you hide a problem, and someone finds it without any explanation from you, it becomes more of a problem then if you just bring it out in the open.

Keynote speech, Jobs should have just mentioned this is our design, this is why the phone looks so cool, if you want to be a part of this, don't bridge the gap.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Yes, most definitely yes.

<hint: Where'd the Field Test Mode go? Somehow it up and vanished like a fart in the wind...>

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Maybe, maybe not. But they certainly didn't expect such a dust up. It's a hot mess.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I think maybe they knew the design wasn't foolproof, but did they know it would be this messy?

Nah.

I think that is why they created the bumper (whoever said it up there, I totally agree).

They figured the few (maybe figuring 20% or less) who had a signal issue would just slap a bumper on there.

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
NOT ONLY THAT.

Why did they change their return policy? They extended it to 30 days.

I think they knew there was a flaw and did that to avoid major boo boo's.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Yup, Apple knew there was an issue. They were going to play it off and did not expect it to blow up in their face like it has. They deserve it. This is why the white phones were delayed.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Of course they knew, which means the "flaw" is by design, hence not a flaw. They thought the overall gain was worth the risk of a usage scenario that ended up in poorer performance. Due to inflated public backlash, they were wrong. The bumper is likely apple's attempt to mitigate attenuation issues AND screen cracking due to the exposed nature of the screen. If you'll remember, the latter point was hot before we started talking about signal problems.

RobLS

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
I don't think they did. The issue is with certain phones. That group may be larger than normal first batch defects though. I've tested a lot of iPhone 4s around here, from stores to a lot of friends and family owning one and they don't even lose reception with the death grip.

Once they started making large numbers, problems start to present themselves.

alexph

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
Too right they knew, and i think that unless they do something about it quite quickly, the truth will out.

That said, and despite trying i have been unable to replicate the loss of signal, and when i have been travelling, I've had no problems.

I did have the proximity issue, but I reloaded the OS and it seems to have gone away

I'm not using a case and in the UK

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
Yes, but they introduced them wrong. If they wanted it to mask the problem while fooling most of the customers, they should have let you pick a color when you ordered the phone (or picked it up) and they would install it before you got your hands on it.
Mine drops signal with it just laying flat in my hand.

Dark K

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Yes. Otherwise, why would they debut the Bumpers with the phone?

Apple really nailed it off with that. I mean, all past 3 generations, no case or accessory advertised exclusively for the product, now, iPhone 4 gets an exclusive accessory, really Apple?

"Get an iPhone 4 16GB for $229.99 with a free bumper"

hzeat

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2009
Dallas
I think they did. I also think they should have just highlighted as part of the design, that area should be avoided. People would have bitched for 2 weeks, forgot about it, the phone would release and then people would already know.

When you hide a problem, and someone finds it without any explanation from you, it becomes more of a problem then if you just bring it out in the open.

Keynote speech, Jobs should have just mentioned this is our design, this is why the phone looks so cool, if you want to be a part of this, don't bridge the gap.

+1

well said Ferris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.