Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I was quoted $354 trade in for my white iPhone 3GS (32GB). The unit had just come from the Apple Store as a refurb. It was in PERFECT condition. I had a white Speck case wrapped around the back since day one. It was in the Speck case AND a leather case for the 5 days I owned it. The criminals at cexchange.com claim that it has minor wear damage on the plastic backing (lie). I am extremely OCD and it was perfect. They now want to offer me $172.88. I told them to send it back and that I would be posting on EVERY forum I am on about their deceptive practices.:mad:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
That's bs. I hate when companies do the whole "send it first" then the quote completely changes hoping you'll give in rather then having it shipped back. I have a perfect freshly replaced 32g white 3gs as well and I'd lose it if they tried pulling that on me.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
All those online iPhone buyback companies do the same.
They tell u one thing then offer another amount. And sometimes they won't even send the phone back to people.
Stay away. Try eBay or CL.
You will get alot more too.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
The sad thing is that I pulled it off eBay because I was afraid of getting hosed and it looks like it almost happened anyway. Oh well, I told them to send it back.

Sucks, two weeks ago, my Unemployment ended, so I was counting on that money.

And to think, I went 3 days with a Go phone while these people had my baby!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
All those online iPhone buyback companies do the same.
They tell u one thing then offer another amount. And sometimes they won't even send the phone back to people.
Stay away. Try eBay or CL.
You will get alot more too.

I did. No one but scammers contacted me from CL. And no one on eBay bid on my auction (I did end it early though-I started bidding at $350 and no bids within 12 hours of auction finish).

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The sad thing is that I pulled it off eBay because I was afraid of getting hosed and it looks like it almost happened anyway. Oh well, I told them to send it back.

Delete

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY

Delete

I saw the original quote, and you're right. Don't think I haven't been saying the same thing to myself.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
I did. No one but scammers contacted me from CL. And no one on eBay bid on my auction (I did end it early though-I started bidding at $350 and no bids within 12 hours of auction finish).
Just relist at $350 and let it go. Nobody serious on eBay bids until the last few hours or so anyway.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
You'll probably get the phone back with some minor wear damage on the plastic backing.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial

There's your first problem. A 350 starting bid on eBay will result in just that, no bids.

There are thousands of iPhones on bays right now. To get people to buy yours and pay for it you have to do a couple things.

First post a good ad. Tell a story, make it real and make it known your a person selling a personal item not a faceless store front moving product. You cared for your phone and you hope to find someone else to carry that on.

The second way to a strong finish is to play on peoples hope for a good deal. This means a risk on your part. Start the auction at .99 and if you can risk it, make it no reserve and advertise the fact. NR auctions always see lots of bids and usually mean a higher end price.

If you cannot deal with the risk of NR then set a reserve at what you can live with and then advertise a low reserve. eBay is all about marketing and the hope of a deal when you are selling something there are thousands of.

Make your auction short, 24 hours. Pay attention to when the auction ends. Ideally on a weeknight in the evening after people are home from work. If it ends on a Saturday at 2 in the afternoon you're less likely to have a strong finish.

IMHO $350 is the very top end of what you will get. Again it's just supply and demand. The more time that passes since IP4 went on sale the more people get around to finally selling there old phone.

Of course if your phone is or can be unlocked then you might see a little more.

Good luck.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Just for my own amusement, I visited Cexchange.com. I only get a $187.43 valuation on an iPhone 3Gs in perfect condition. Then, I went to the Cexchange FAQs that state that if their price is different from their original appraisal …“In this situation we will send you an email with our revised appraisal, based on what we received. At that point you can choose to accept our revised offer and receive prompt payment on it, or we will return your items to you free of charge.” Where did they lie?

What about you? If your old posts are true, you said you bought a GoPhone, put in your old SIM, and used it between the time you sent your old iPhone off and getting the iPhone 4. Once you got your iPhone 4, you had no qualms returning it to the store after you didn’t need it anymore. It’s called a fraudulent return, no different than the girl who buys a dress, wears it to the party, and returns it the next day.

Your actions affect all of us. Now, the retailer is left holding the bag for the merchandise you bought knowing you were going to return it. It’s people like you who cause the restocking fees the rest of us have to pay for legitimate returns.

You say that your unemployment benefits ran out and you need the money from the sale of the old phone. You don’t need a lecture from me or anyone else on how to spend your money when you are on unemployment compensation. It’s your money to do with what you will.

OTOH, you won’t get sympathy from me over $181.12 because your unemployment $$$ ran out. In the last couple of months, you purchased a MacBook and an iPhone 4 (and upgraded at a premium ($499) because you are not eligible until next year). From my side of the keyboard, it looks irresponsible.

I just call it like I see it. Did I misunderstand something?

Hope you can sell it on Craigslist or eBay for what you need.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
Just for my own amusement, I visited Cexchange.com. I only get a $187.43 valuation on an iPhone 3Gs in perfect condition. Then, I went to the Cexchange FAQs that state that if their price is different from their original appraisal …“In this situation we will send you an email with our revised appraisal, based on what we received. At that point you can choose to accept our revised offer and receive prompt payment on it, or we will return your items to you free of charge.” Where did they lie?

What about you? If your old posts are true, you said you bought a GoPhone, put in your old SIM, and used it between the time you sent your old iPhone off and getting the iPhone 4. Once you got your iPhone 4, you had no qualms returning it to the store after you didn’t need it anymore. It’s called a fraudulent return, no different than the girl who buys a dress, wears it to the party, and returns it the next day.

Your actions affect all of us. Now, the retailer is left holding the bag for the merchandise you bought knowing you were going to return it. It’s people like you who cause the restocking fees the rest of us have to pay for legitimate returns.

You say that your unemployment benefits ran out and you need the money from the sale of the old phone. You don’t need a lecture from me or anyone else on how to spend your money when you are on unemployment compensation. It’s your money to do with what you will.

OTOH, you won’t get sympathy from me over $181.12 because your unemployment $$$ ran out. In the last couple of months, you purchased a MacBook and an iPhone 4 (and upgraded at a premium ($499) because you are not eligible until next year). From my side of the keyboard, it looks irresponsible.

I didn't spend all the time researching your buying history, but.... +1!:rolleyes:

atomicbatteries

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
ski2moro your a regular Sherlock Holmes!
I commend you for exposing this thread starters BS. I hate people like that. People are homeless, starving, can't pay their mortgage, and this guys buying iPhones and MacBooks!
Someone should report him to the federalies!

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
That doesn't make them liars.

It simple means they disagree with you on the condition of your phone.

Gazelle has done the same thing.

It is a business deal. They offer you a price on an expected appearance of the phone. Your phone did not meet their criteria, so they will send it back.

They did not lie to you or defraud you. Don't be so hostile.

Plus it is a refurb unit so I am not sure how you can claim it is pristine.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009

OP, you just got owned!

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland

Post of the week! Bravo. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.