Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:21 PM   #376
spblat
macrumors 6502a

My prediction is similar to others we've seen. They'll say something like this:
The iPhone 4 has been our most popular product ever. We've been excited and humbled by unprecedented sales volume of the past few weeks. It's been our biggest Apple launch ever. Millions of people are loving their iPhone 4's. Retina etc. Awesome.

We've made incredible improvements in the RF design of this device. Here are some examples of press coverage describing the iPhone 4's ability to hold onto calls in what used to be dead spots.

We understand that there have been reports of some people experiencing reception problems when the iPhone 4 is handled in a particular way. We agree that appearance of these problems is related to the "innovative" external antenna design, but this issue has been exacerbated by an error we made in how we display the bars in iOS. [Reference what was learned from Anandtech's analysis.]

We are extremely confident in the overall design of the product. So much so that today we're announcing that anyone who buys an iPhone 4 during its first 6 months can return it--no questions asked--within 30 days of purchase, with no restocking fee, regardless of which authorized reseller you bought it from. This includes the 1.7 million people who bought an iPhone 4 on launch day. We're confident you will love your iPhone.

In addition, next week we will release a software update that will (among other enhancements) do two things. 1) It will make our signal display more accurate, and 2) it will include an update to the radio equipment in the iPhone that will make it more effective at maximizing signal strength even when the two antennas are bridged by your hand.

Finally, anyone who has already bought an iPhone 4 will receive a $50 Apple Store gift card with our compliments. If you would prefer to make sure the two external antennas are never bridged by the way you hold your iPhone, you can buy a bumper or another case on us. If you don't feel you need a case for your iPhone (or if you already bought one) we hope you enjoy whatever you buy with the card.

That's all we have to announce for today. Thanks for coming. And screw Jason Chen. And also those dirtbags at Consumer Reports.
I would be more than satisfied with a response like this, although the $50 gift card is probably a tad optimistic (but recall for precedent the credit to existing iPhone users when the price dropped suddenly). And I bet they don't say word one about the proximity sensor issue, or the white iPhone 4.
spblat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:21 PM   #377
klrobinson999
macrumors 6502

When Consumer Reports speaks, people listen. Apple knows this, which is why they are finally reacting.

CR did NOT say NOT to buy the iPhone 4, they just didn't recommend it...however, that's simply equivocation in the minds of the general consumer.
klrobinson999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:22 PM   #378
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestdog View Post
How many more lies will they tell?
Please tell us what lies they have told us?
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:22 PM   #379
lllll
macrumors regular

This conference is yet another of Apple genius idea of using the press for free pubilicity. Apple is really genius, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

LoopInsight, Engadget and others are reporting that Apple will be holding a press conference this Friday.The topic of discussion, of course, is the iPhone 4 which has received much press over the past few weeks regarding a signal loss issue when it is held in certain ways. A Consumer Reports article reignited discussion of this issue earlier this week.

Article Link: Apple Holding iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday
lllll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:22 PM   #380
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Better question to ask yourself:

What will he have to say to keep my iPhone 4 and not return within 30 days?
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:23 PM   #381
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post
Take your own advice. They did not rate the phone a "don't buy" as you claimed in your previous post; they just didn't list it as a "recommended" phone although it had their highest rating.
Rating the phone as "Not Recommended" is the same thing. You're arguing semantics.

How about Apple systematically deleting EVERY SINGLE THREAD on their support forums that mentions ANYTHING about the Consumer Reports report?

Uggh, the fanboyism around here is sickening. MR sure isn't what it once was.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:23 PM   #382
PBF
macrumors 68030

My prediction:

1. No mention of the iPhone 4 antenna issue

2. iOS 5.0 sneak peek
PBF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:23 PM   #383
Lestdog
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
There is no antennae problem. I've got a 3GS and my buddy has a iPhone 4.0 and he gets signal in places at the hospital where I can't even get one. As far as covering part of the antennae causing a drop in signal, I can reproduce that with my 3GS as well. People need to stop digging for things that isn't there. If your signal drops while holding the phone, well, the signal in that area was probably weak to begin with and your iPhone probably shouldn't have been displaying as many bars. Enjoy your phone and don't worry. If you honestly hate it so much, return it. Your lost.
Ahem, at 2 different apple stores I held my iphone 3G and several of the iphone 4s.. I was able to duplicate the signal loss on everyone of the iphone 4s.. After cupping my hand completely around the 3g I managed to lose 1 single bar…. so no there's is an issue.
Lestdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:23 PM   #384
Warbrain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobinson999 View Post
When Consumer Reports speaks, people listen. Apple knows this, which is why they are finally reacting.

CR did NOT say NOT to buy the iPhone 4, they just didn't recommend it...however, that's simply equivocation in the minds of the general consumer.
I don't know about anyone else but I went "Huh, people still read that..."
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:24 PM   #385
macduke
macrumors 68030

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This just keeps getting funnier and funnier.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:24 PM   #386
decadentdave
macrumors 6502

If it was going to be recalled they would hold the press conference at the beginning of the week to deal with all of the media fallout, not on a Friday when everyone wants to enjoy their weekend.
decadentdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:25 PM   #387
Freis968
macrumors 6502a

Oh boy, here comes the new Mac Pro!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:25 PM   #388
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
There is no antennae problem. I've got a 3GS and my buddy has a iPhone 4.0 and he gets signal in places at the hospital where I can't even get one. As far as covering part of the antennae causing a drop in signal, I can reproduce that with my 3GS as well. People need to stop digging for things that isn't there. If your signal drops while holding the phone, well, the signal in that area was probably weak to begin with and your iPhone probably shouldn't have been displaying as many bars. Enjoy your phone and don't worry. If you honestly hate it so much, return it. Your lost.
Agreed. One of the calmer and more intelligent posts on this site. While I suspect some iPhones have this issue, waiting until Apple addresses the issue is the most sensible recourse. Otherwise, it's simply people grabbing on to something to complain, perhaps venting helps with other issues in their lives.

As well, I've noticed a rather significant influx of new members in the past two weeks who are commenting incessantly about the iPhone 4 being an "Epic Fail" and that all Apple users are "fanboys", and "I love my Droid" or "I love my WinMo". Almost every thread is becoming a sounding board, even threads that have nothing to do with the iPhone are turning into (cue music) "Apple's demise".

Last edited by bedifferent; Jul 14, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:25 PM   #389
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post
My prediction is similar to others we've seen. They'll say something like this:
The iPhone 4 has been our most popular product ever. We've been excited and humbled by unprecedented sales volume of the past few weeks. It's been our biggest Apple launch ever. Millions of people are loving their iPhone 4's. Retina etc. Awesome.

We've made incredible improvements in the RF design of this device. Here are some examples of press coverage describing the iPhone 4's ability to hold onto calls in what used to be dead spots.

We understand that there have been reports of some people experiencing reception problems when the iPhone 4 is handled in a particular way. We agree that appearance of these problems is related to the "innovative" external antenna design, but this issue has been exacerbated by an error we made in how we display the bars in iOS. [Reference what was learned from Anandtech's analysis.]

We are extremely confident in the overall design of the product. So much so that today we're announcing that anyone who buys an iPhone 4 during its first 6 months can return it--no questions asked--within 30 days of purchase, with no restocking fee, regardless of which authorized reseller you bought it from. This includes the 1.7 million people who bought an iPhone 4 on launch day. We're confident you will love your iPhone.

In addition, next week we will release a software update that will (among other enhancements) do two things. 1) It will make our signal display more accurate, and 2) it will include an update to the radio equipment in the iPhone that will make it more effective at maximizing signal strength even when the two antennas are bridged by your hand.

Finally, anyone who has already bought an iPhone 4 will receive a $50 Apple Store gift card with our compliments. If you would prefer to make sure the two external antennas are never bridged by the way you hold your iPhone, you can buy a bumper or another case on us. If you don't feel you need a case for your iPhone (or if you already bought one) we hope you enjoy whatever you buy with the card.

That's all we have to announce for today. Thanks for coming. And screw Jason Chen. And also those dirtbags at Consumer Reports.
I would be more than satisfied with a response like this, although the $50 gift card is probably a tad optimistic (but recall for precedent the credit to existing iPhone users when the price dropped suddenly). And I bet they don't say word one about the proximity sensor issue, or the white iPhone 4.
Press release at 10AM. My iPhone 4 returned at 10:30AM.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:25 PM   #390
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
Rating the phone as "Not Recommended" is the same thing. You're arguing semantics.
No, it's not. "Recommended" is a specific distinction that Consumer Reports gives out. Most of the products they review don't receive it. But obviously there's no convincing you otherwise, so have a nice day.
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:25 PM   #391
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
They should say everyone gets a free iPhone. They are just so damn good, one can not charge for the awesomenessesity!
synth3tik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:26 PM   #392
xlii
macrumors 68000

The press conference will go like this...

What part of "You're holding it wrong!" don't you understand?
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:27 PM   #393
jacobs5476
macrumors newbie

It Depends

This press conference could be good or bad; it depends how they hold it.
jacobs5476 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:27 PM   #394
zerocustom1989
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Agreed. One of the calmer and more intelligent posts on this site. While I suspect some iPhones have this issue, waiting until Apple addresses the issue is the most sensible recourse. Otherwise, it's simply people grabbing on to something to complain, perhaps venting helps with other issues in their lives.

As well, I've noticed a rather significant influx of new members in the past two weeks who are commenting incessantly about the iPhone 4 being an "Epic Fail" and that all Apple users are "fanboys", and "I love my Droid" or "I love my WinMo". Almost every thread is becoming a sounding board, even threads that have nothing to do with the iPhone are turning into (cue music) "Apple's demise".
If I have 3 bars and when i touch the 'spot' my internet data grinds down and I lose the rest of my bars. It effects me so im glad this has happened.
zerocustom1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:27 PM   #395
decadentdave
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post

Just hire Christian Bale or Mel Gibson to speak on Steve's behalf.
decadentdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:27 PM   #396
Sean4123
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post

That would be pretty funny, I must admit. It should be pretty entertaining. I hope to god they have a true fix though. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about this.
Sean4123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:28 PM   #397
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post

How about Apple systematically deleting EVERY SINGLE THREAD on their support forums that mentions ANYTHING about the Consumer Reports report?

Uggh, the fanboyism around here is sickening. MR sure isn't what it once was.
Point one...wrong. They always pick one product to recommend in each category, but they make it clear that it does not mean don't buy the others.

Point two... if they are deleting the articles... how the HECK do you know they are... or were there?

Point three... Ahhh... this is the Apple Rumor site... we like our Apple products and announcements like this press conference are usually a good thing because the mother ship is answering our calls... or dropped calls in this case!
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:29 PM   #398
gescom
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to gescom Send a message via MSN to gescom Send a message via Yahoo to gescom
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentdave View Post
Just hire Christian Bale or Mel Gibson to speak on Steve's behalf.
OMG!!! Steve having a Facetime session with Mel Gibson!!!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:29 PM   #399
MLXB
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applextrent View Post
If I were Apple I would offer an exchange program for an iPhone 4 with a coated antenna then resale the "death grip" phones in China.

Apple appeases their US customers, double's their international market share, and profits. It's win-win.

Well, except for the Chinese.
Love it!
MLXB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:29 PM   #400
acrafton
macrumors regular

He will announce the Beatles catalog is finally coming to ITunes.
acrafton is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion