Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Reiger
macrumors regular

No problems connecting the antenna's near the headphone port on iPhone 4?

A lot of people are experiencing problems when performing the death grip or merely placing a finger on the bottom left side of the iPhone 4. The popular theory is that by connecting the two antenna's you detune the antenna, because it becomes "longer". I can replicate this issue, to some extent. In some situations (weak cellphone reception area's) I can make the iPhone 4 drop some bars.

However, the antenna's also meet near the headphone port. I understand that nobody holds the phone there when making a call. But it could interfere when you're browsing the internet in landscape.

Anyway, I tried to connect and death grip the antenna's near the headphone port. Nothing happens. I don't get it. Shouldn't this result in the same effect as connecting the antenna's on the left side?
Reiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Rinone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiger View Post
A lot of people are experiencing problems when performing the death grip or merely placing a finger on the bottom left side of the iPhone 4. The popular theory is that by connecting the two antenna's you detune the antenna, because it becomes "longer". I can replicate this issue, to some extent. In some situations (weak cellphone reception area's) I can make the iPhone 4 drop some bars.

However, the antenna's also meet near the headphone port. I understand that nobody holds the phone there when making a call. But it could interfere when you're browsing the internet in landscape.

Anyway, I tried to connect the antenna's near the headphone port. Nothing happens. I don't get it. Shouldn't this result in the same effect as connecting the antenna's on the left side?

This has already been discussed before. The bottom seam is where the outer metal rim connects to the the receiver or whatever it is inside the phone. It is much more sensitive in that spot. Some say that you can not bridge the antenna in the upper part because of the distance and resistance.
Rinone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:26 AM   #3
macduke
macrumors 68040

I wish Apple would have simply made the bottom part neutral and separate, and make the 3g antenna start on the opposite side where there is another seam that is currently only for aesthetics. The signal might have been slightly weaker (maybe the same as the old one?), but we wouldn't be in this situation.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:59 AM   #4
Reiger
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinone View Post
This has already been discussed before. The bottom seam is where the outer metal rim connects to the the receiver or whatever it is inside the phone. It is much more sensitive in that spot. Some say that you can not bridge the antenna in the upper part because of the distance and resistance.

Thanks! I didn't know that. It seems like a reasonable explanation. I'm curious what Apple will announce tomorrow.
Reiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone