Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I returned it a couple days ago. I didn't feel like owning a defective product even though I wasn't experiencing dropped calls. There eventually will be revised hardware. Whether it's in a few weeks, months, or iPhone 5. I didn't want to take the hit on resale value with a rev A iPhone 4.

In any case, I have a micro-sim to full size sim adapter and put Apple card into my Nexus One. All was good and didn't need to stop by ATT to get a new full size sim. Plus I like the idea of having a universal SIM should a newer phone come my way.

Just an FYI to those returning phones. I did call ATT while I was in the Apple store to inform them of what I was doing. They were cool with it as well.

Also the SIM adapter I'm running is one I purchased off ebay. Black version with the seller claiming they're straight from Germany. They're the exact size of a standard sim. The blue versions are a little too thick for some phones.

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
Also the SIM adapter I'm running is one I purchased off ebay. Black version with the seller claiming they're straight from Germany. They're the exact size of a standard sim. The blue versions are a little too thick for some phones.

Will this adapter work in the old original iPhone 2g?
I still have an old sim card for that phone - can it be reactivated? I am thinking of doing what you did, only using the 2g phone.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I returned it a couple days ago. I didn't feel like owning a defective product even though I wasn't experiencing dropped calls. There eventually will be revised hardware. Whether it's in a few weeks, months, or iPhone 5. I didn't want to take the hit on resale value with a rev A iPhone 4.

In any case, I have a micro-sim to full size sim adapter and put Apple card into my Nexus One. All was good and didn't need to stop by ATT to get a new full size sim. Plus I like the idea of having a universal SIM should a newer phone come my way.

Just an FYI to those returning phones. I did call ATT while I was in the Apple store to inform them of what I was doing. They were cool with it as well.

So let me get this straight, you were having no issues with the iPhone4 and you returned it based on the reports that a few others were having and were afraid of the future resale value.

That is stupidest thing I ever heard. I buy products because I want them, I could care less of what the resale value is in 2 years. I want the product for now and as long as I care to use it. If it DOESN'T work, then I will return it. If it's working then I see no reason to return it.

I doubt very much that the resale value for my iPhone 3G is very much right now, but for me it does make a nice iPod Touch with a camera.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
So let me get this straight, you were having no issues with the iPhone4 and you returned it based on the reports that a few others were having and were afraid of the future resale value.

That is stupidest thing I ever heard. I buy products because I want them, I could care less of what the resale value is in 2 years. I want the product for now and as long as I care to use it. If it DOESN'T work, then I will return it. If it's working then I see no reason to return it.

I doubt very much that the resale value for my iPhone 3G is very much right now, but for me it does make a nice iPod Touch with a camera.

You are not him. And he is not you. Hence what you do and what he does are not the same.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York

It's not stupid if those are the priorities of the OP. Everyone is different. Resale value is important to a lot of people. With Apple products, it's a more realistic priority, as Apple's stuff holds it value much better than most electronics out there.

Resale can be a very important factor for someone using Apple products. Lots of people actually USE Apple stuff BECAUSE of it's resale ability. MacBook Pro's are a perfect example of this. People use resale value as a vehicle to get a new laptop every year for only a few hundred dollars.

So even though the OP is not experiencing trouble using it now, his resale value WILL take a hit in the future. This is tangible, and he's warranted in his choice to return to the phone. It's not stupid at all.

IndianGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010

You just got to be first self centered person I came across today - and I see them lot.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
You are not him. And he is not you. Hence what you do and what he does are not the same.

It's really disappointing to see how often this sentence should be applied on this forum recently.

There really are tons of people who think that everybody must do everything the way they do it, and if they're having/not having a problem everyone else is as well.

:(

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I respect the fact that the you decided to return your iPhone... but... you went back to a Nexus One? Seriously?

That phone is plagued with problems. You can't even type on that thing or use the touch sensitive keys without having issues. I would have had more respect for you if you said you were buying a Droid X. :rolleyes:

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
wow, lots of feedback. where to do I start?

1) Resale: I've had all 3 generations of iphones in my family plan and each year I was able to get the newest iphone for the $199 subsidized price. I would sell the previous gen between $300-$400, and therefore make out well on the upgrade, especially if I unlocked it.

2) Here's the item I purchased. It will work with any full size sim phone
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180518168912&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3) I can't believe how much fanboism is on these forums! "If it comes from Apple it must be perfect, and there's nothing better out there!!"

4) Nexus One: Keyboard's fine. Perhaps the recent 2.2 update improved things. I particularly enjoy that this phone natively supports the ability to create a wifi hotspot for up to 8 devices, or usb tethering without paying extra and allows you to use your unlimited data plan!! This phone is not restricted by carriers nor does it contain any of their bloatware. There are some other pros & cons however that's not the discussion for this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.