Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:37 PM   #1
juan370Z
macrumors regular

Should I update my iPhone 4?

Ok so obviously the. Update i's out I want to jb my iPhone. But I don't know if updating i's going to compromise my future jb any toughts?
juan370Z is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:43 PM   #2
swoosh0217
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan370Z View Post
Ok so obviously the. Update i's out I want to jb my iPhone. But I don't know if updating i's going to compromise my future jb any toughts?

Here's a link for starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Search
swoosh0217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:45 PM   #3
medicscott
Banned

if you wanna unlock your phone, dont update

if you just wanna jb your device, back up your shsh blobs using tinyumbrella, then its safe to upgrade, according to @comex
medicscott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:16 PM   #4
thelatinist
macrumors 603

There is no reason to upgrade at this point, and MuscleNerd has recommended against it. I would hold off for now.

You do realize that this update is just a placebo, right? It will have no effect on how well your phone actually works, just on how many bars you see.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:44 PM   #5
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicscott View Post
if you wanna unlock your phone, dont update

if you just wanna jb your device, back up your shsh blobs using tinyumbrella, then its safe to upgrade, according to @comex
@comex has rescinded that tweet

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Tokiopop
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Tokiopop Send a message via Skype™ to Tokiopop
Safe to update, for Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

http://twitter.com/comex

I'm afraid your sarcasm detectors are broken, good sir.
Tokiopop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Arisian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokiopop View Post
Safe to update, for Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

http://twitter.com/comex
By no means am I disagreeing with you - however the dev team actually seems to be split on this subject, which is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetBeing
Still encourage you not to update to 4.0.1 however, but if you missed getting a 4.0 SHSH, you can get ones for 4.0.1.
... that literally coming RIGHT AFTER he retweeted what comex said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comex
I lied. Apparently there is no baseband update for some reason, so feel free to update to 4.0.1 if you're on 4.0
and the last thing MuscleNerd said, though being pretty silent on the issue is :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclenerd
Obviously avoid today's 4.0.1 update until JB tools are updated. Luckily, no baseband change so ultrasn0w lives on
Seems like people would be ok if they update to 4.0.1 (w/ 4.0 shsh on file) but the Dev Team seems split on the subject - I would also assume that comex would know best since he's working on the JB - but there seems to be no point to the upgrade other than the signal bar gfx and formula changes

Again, sorry for another 'useless' comment

Last edited by Arisian; Jul 15, 2010 at 08:53 PM.
Arisian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:41 PM   #8
thelatinist
macrumors 603

What the hell is everyone's hurry? This is a completely useless update, and waiting a day or two will give much more clarity about what it contains and whether it is a good idea to upgrade. Just hold your horses.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:42 PM   #9
sloppygator2013
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
What the hell is everyone's hurry? This is a completely useless update, and waiting a day or two will give much more clarity about what it contains and whether it is a good idea to upgrade. Just hold your horses.
+1 thank god. I thought I was the only one left on the board with a brain.
sloppygator2013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:10 PM   #10
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppygator2013 View Post
+1 thank god. I thought I was the only one left on the board with a brain.
There are many of us who understand this.

Most of the "can't wait" crowd are the young, new to jailbreaking group who have never waited for anything in their life.

Let them do it. There is already a thread here on how to downgrade back to 4.0, why am I not surprised.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:37 PM   #11
narimonk
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to narimonk Send a message via Yahoo to narimonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan370Z View Post
Take it from an Apple tech, this update is a BAD IDEA. It wasn't thoroughly tested, hell it barely recieved any testing. Has caused 3 confirmed cases of unfixable bricking (at my store), and solves nothing. just STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM IT AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE!!
narimonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:40 PM   #12
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by narimonk View Post
Take it from an Apple tech, this update is a BAD IDEA. It wasn't thoroughly tested, hell it barely recieved any testing. Has caused 3 confirmed cases of unfixable bricking (at my store), and solves nothing. just STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM IT AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE!!
It is not possible to brick an iPhone by updating the firmware. Barring hardware failure, it is always possible to put the phone in DFU mode and restore to the latest firmware. Period.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:45 PM   #13
narimonk
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to narimonk Send a message via Yahoo to narimonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelatinist View Post
It is not possible to brick an iPhone by updating the firmware. Barring hardware failure, it is always possible to put the phone in DFU mode and restore to the latest firmware. Period.
I should have eluded to my point properly, please excuse me. My theory as to these cases of bricking, was that some bug in the software caused hardware failure, it was the only explanation the other techs and I could come to.
narimonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:47 PM   #14
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by narimonk View Post
I should have eluded to my point properly, please excuse me. My theory as to these cases of bricking, was that some bug in the software caused hardware failure, it was the only explanation the other techs and I could come to.
Total BS. If the phone could not be put in DFU mode, it had a preexisting hardware failure that had nothing to do with 4.0.1. Nothing in 4.0.1 could possibly cause that kind of hardware failure. Please stop spreading this nonsense.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks