Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yarjarrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
California
I've noticed that my caps lock light keeps blinking randomly. It usually happens in groups of blinks every 5 minutes or so. It started doing this after I upgraded to snow leopard. Why is it doing this?

Early '08 MBP
2.4 GHz

Marbule

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Same problem

I noticed the same problem today. I have the same machine as the original poster. I did recently upgrade to Snow Leopard, but I don't know if that's really the problem.

Any results on this issue? Is is still a problem?

I've noticed some coincident problems, like the trackpad and keyboard freezing completely for a few seconds, and the spacebar typing by itself (spaces appear where I'm typing, but I'm not touching the spacebar). All of the problems are intermittent.

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard tab -> Modifier Keys...

Is anything other than Caps Lock set to be Caps Lock? If so, pressing that key will cause Caps Lock (and the light) to toggle.

Marbule

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. It happens while I'm just looking at the keyboard, not typing anything. So it can't be some other key triggering caps lock. I checked the modifier keys to be sure and everything is set normally.

If the topcase is defective, does it seem likely that my computer will be completely unusable soon?

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
Oh yeah, the self destruct countdown. Three day timer, probably a good time to sell.

Kidding obv, no idea what it is :)

maybe your computer is talking to you through morse code
LMAO at both those comments

Thanks for the suggestions. It happens while I'm just looking at the keyboard, not typing anything. So it can't be some other key triggering caps lock. I checked the modifier keys to be sure and everything is set normally.

If the topcase is defective, does it seem likely that my computer will be completely unusable soon?

Take in to Apple?

megaaaaatron

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
This happened to me as well, In my case, it was the battery. When the battery gets old it begins to swell, and the swelling causes a number of annoying side effects, like random clicking (battery presses on trackpad and click button), as well as pressing on caps lock key, and space bar. I haven't had the money to get a new battery yet, and so have been using my Mac with just the power adapter. Somewhat annoying because if I unplug it by accident it dies immediately, but much less annoying than the random clicking all over the place. Hope this helps someone!

Marbule

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have made an update on what happened. I took my computer to an Apple store. The battery was dead, and they replaced it for me. This solved my problem, for a year. Now the problem has come back, with a vengeance. Zapping the PRAM sometimes fixes it for a while, but eventually the trackpad and keyboard just stop working completely. Now I just always use an external keyboard and mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.