Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
After weeks of research and reading I can't decide between these two below: Between £1000 and £1200 is my budget: Both macs are base models in their screen size.

Apple Macbook Pro 13inch 2.4ghz, 4GB or Apple 27inch Imac 3.06ghz, 4GB, 1TB. Now I am aware that the cycle is nearly up for the 27inch desktop....should I just go on without a computer until end of September??

Macbook comes in at £905 with Apple care and student discount
Imac comes in at £1256 with Apple care and student discount
The difference in cost between these two is £351.

Now I think that £351 is not that much money between the two of these machines if you look at spec! I mean if you were to buy a wireless keyboard and wireless magic mouse for the macbook pro then that would cost an extra £112 alone and they come with with the imac! I am also thinking about future proof and re sale value for these machines. Both are entry models for their size of screen..no i5 or i7 processors..which will date sooner. The being able to move the computer is not an issue before you ask.....I will be mainly be using the computer to download movies and music....maybe play a few flight sims...hopefully when they bring the lead out to scale bluray up to 1080p instead of 720p on the imac screen..watch blurays.....although feel this is a little bit of a gamble if they do!!!.I have been told there is lead that does this right now (1080p) in the states...that was launched 4 days ago. I want to be able to burn dvds quickly and have machine that is fast. Anyone with some advice and in the know..would be good to hear your thoughts. Thankyou

Kieranic

Apr 23, 2010
I've only been in the Mac World for around 10 months now so I won't tell you which Mac to buy, but I will help with some stuff in the last paragraph :)

I mean if you were to buy a wireless keyboard and wireless magic mouse for the macbook pro then that would cost an extra £112 alone and they come with with the imac!

Why would you buy a wireless keyboard for a MacBook Pro? It'll be pretty much exactly the same, no difference in keys (Wireless keyboard and Macbook keyboards do not have Number pads)

The being able to move the computer is not an issue before you ask.....I will be mainly be using the computer to download movies and music....maybe play a few flight sims...hopefully when they bring the lead out to scale bluray up to 1080p instead of 720p on the imac screen..watch blurays.....although feel this is a little bit of a gamble if they do!!!.I have been told there is lead that does this right now (1080p) in the states...that was launched 4 days ago.

1. If you're going to download movies, you'll want the biggest hard drive you can afford. The average DVD sized movie/iTunes Standard Definition movie is 1-2.5GB. HD are usually 3.5GB-7GB (and thats only 720p I think).

2. The movies on Blu-Rays HAVE been 1080p ever since they came out (well, at least as long as I can remember). Macs won't have Blu-Ray for some time... says Steve Jobs anyway. Then again, rumor has it the digital revolution (aka Netflix, Hulu, iTunes) is going to over take the physical revolution (aka Blu-Ray, and most certainly DVD) so that may be why.

3. You said something that you want it to be at least 720p or something (Your last paragraph is sort of hard to understand (I have no idea what you mean by "lead out")) but the Apple 27" Mac is infact BIGGER than 1080p (the resolution is infact 2560 by 1440 pixels while 1080p as you probably know is 1920x1080p). The 13" MacBook Pro has a resolution of 1280x800 and thats just slightly above 720p so it's pretty good for that size in my opinion. Movies you buy off iTunes that are in HD are 720p.

I hope that has sort of helped... just thought I'd throw that information in here :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Do you need portability or not? The screen in iMac is already worth 1000$ so if you're planning to use it for watching videos, it's amazing, BUT you can get a 32" HDTV and hook that to the MacBook as no video can really take advantage of iMacs brilliant screen.

I would get MacBook. Portability is always nice and you can easily hook it to TV to watch movies. You don't need power MacBook is just fine

Adam69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Thanks for your help! you seem to know a lot for only ten months on here! I am swayed towards the macbook pro, due to the fact it has been updated very recently and the fact it is cheaper! The basic 27inch is due a revamp and I couldn't bare seeing a new model come out after buying the core 2 duo. I need a computer in order to activate my iphone 4!!! ha ha!! the one that maybe recalled or whatever Apple intend to do! I think I trying to buy the best in my budget which is always a hard thing to do! just dont want to make a mistake! You certainly get more for your money with the 27inch....would def increase the 13inch memory from 250 to 320 for the sake of £40!!

I've only been in the Mac World for around 10 months now so I won't tell you which Mac to buy, but I will help with some stuff in the last paragraph :)

Why would you buy a wireless keyboard for a MacBook Pro? It'll be pretty much exactly the same, no difference in keys (Wireless keyboard and Macbook keyboards do not have Number pads)

1. If you're going to download movies, you'll want the biggest hard drive you can afford. The average DVD sized movie/iTunes Standard Definition movie is 1-2.5GB. HD are usually 3.5GB-7GB (and thats only 720p I think).

2. The movies on Blu-Rays HAVE been 1080p ever since they came out (well, at least as long as I can remember). Macs won't have Blu-Ray for some time... says Steve Jobs anyway. Then again, rumor has it the digital revolution (aka Netflix, Hulu, iTunes) is going to over take the physical revolution (aka Blu-Ray, and most certainly DVD) so that may be why.

3. You said something that you want it to be at least 720p or something (Your last paragraph is sort of hard to understand (I have no idea what you mean by "lead out")) but the Apple 27" Mac is infact BIGGER than 1080p (the resolution is infact 2560 by 1440 pixels while 1080p as you probably know is 1920x1080p). The 13" MacBook Pro has a resolution of 1280x800 and thats just slightly above 720p so it's pretty good for that size in my opinion. Movies you buy off iTunes that are in HD are 720p.

I hope that has sort of helped... just thought I'd throw that information in here :)

wanttobuyimac

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
recently i was in a similar dilemma.. the guys in this forum are great in helping u decide.. :cool:
at the end of the day.. they made me realise ..that i need to evaluate my need now..and my need in next 3-5 years.. and it resulted that pretty much most mac machine would suffice for my requirement ( i dont intend to do any fancy stuff on it like hardcore gaming etc).. and get what falls in to the budget. (or with a little stretch) ... The Imac 27' is due for a 'refresh' as they seem to call it.. but whats on offer right now.. is not bad.. actually its damn good for most use.. I dont know much about macbook pro..

I suppose.. what i am trying to say is... u have to evaluate u r requirement / and use of this wonderful machinery and see which one falls in ur budget.. and if both pass that test.. then go with ur instinct.. ie. what u think you would like to own/ be proud of.. and maybe a little showing off :D

I know my reply isnt very techie.. I recently bought a Imac 27' .. with the help of these guys.. and this is my conclusion in interacting here..

good luck with whatever u buy...
cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.