Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
4798536083_1e837c461d_z.jpg

This is the back of my boss's Iphone 4. Now he doesn't take the phone out to clean it, but he has only had his Iphone 4 for 1 week and 2 days.

All those white spots you see are little gouges in the back of the phone along with scratches. I didn't take pics of the side of the phone but the antenna was just full of crap and also scratched because the case fits very loose.

My personal opinion is unless you have a skin on the back and sides, avoid this case.

Thought I was in the accessory forum, mods please move. Thanks!

iHero

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
UK
I have this case and can't figure out what you mean...are you saying the case did all that damage? :confused:

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Yeah, don't get it. I have one of these cases that I bought until I could get a bumper. The back plastic doesn't even touch the iPhone (the case itself doesn't fit all that well IMO), so nothing is even touching on the back. Not sure how it could have done that.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Yeah, don't get it. I have one of these cases that I bought until I could get a bumper. The back plastic doesn't even touch the iPhone (the case itself doesn't fit all that well IMO), so nothing is even touching on the back. Not sure how it could have done that.

If it doesnt fit well then particles could get trapped in between the case and glass and then get pressed into it when pressure is applied. Make sure your case fits well. ;)

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I had my first iPhone 4 in one of these and it caused a few scratches on the back glass. I have my replacement in a plain black apple bumper and I am scratch free. So yes I have to aggree that the Griffin case is poo.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I had one for a couple of days also. Didn't have a problem but I didn't like the look or fit. That doesn't look good. I went with the Bumper IS solution. Much better.

Are you sure it's not the Griffen that's gouged?? It looks like it....

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I've had one since launch day. I'm on my second i4 now but neither has developed any scratches on the back at all. I do take it off say...once a week or so...and thoroughly clean both the phone and the inside of the case backing. No issues.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Crap I posted this in the wrong forum accidentally, mods please move.

And here I gave someone else crap earlier in another thread. lol

chrisu91

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I actually had the Reveal case for my 3GS. Never again. This exact same thing has happened to it. I cleaned the case out probably once every 3-5 days. What I'm going to do when I get my iPhone 4 is apply a protector on the back and use it with a case (looking at the Incipio Silicrylic). Sucks that that happened to a sexy new iPhone 4 :(.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I actually had the Reveal case for my 3GS. Never again. This exact same thing has happened to it. I cleaned the case out probably once every 3-5 days. What I'm going to do when I get my iPhone 4 is apply a protector on the back and use it with a case (looking at the Incipio Silicrylic). Sucks that that happened to a sexy new iPhone 4 :(.

Yeah it was painful to look at. My boss doesn't seem to care at all about scratches, that would have drove me nuts.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
I remember someone saying that putting a skin on your i4 then putting it in this case was overkill.

What do you think they have to say now?

Nothing.

I feel vindicated. :)

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I remember someone saying that putting a skin on your i4 then putting it in this case was overkill.

What do you think they have to say now?

Nothing.

I feel vindicated. :)

Some may laugh, but I had a Griffin Reveal for my 3GS for a while. I had a Wrapsol matte skin on my 3GS, then a regular skin on the back of the Reveal so it wouldn't scratch.

How's that for overkill?

;)

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
I had this case on my phone since the release date up until yesterday!!! My phone still looks brand new! I also took it out the case once a week to clean it! But I do that with any case... I don't trust none of em! A case won't protect ur phone from everything

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Some may laugh, but I had a Griffin Reveal for my 3GS for a while. I had a Wrapsol matte skin on my 3GS, then a regular skin on the back of the Reveal so it wouldn't scratch.

How's that for overkill?

;)

I'm with you on this one. I have the Invisible Shield plus iFrogz Luxe Lean on my iPhone4. Shameless plugin.. VERY impressed by the iFrogz Luxe Leann cases! Just stumbled upon them in BEst Buy and it's a great fit! Light weight doesn't add much bulk to the phone.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I also have the case, and have had no problems with fit (if anything, I have to almost pry my phone out of it). I will concede that the dust that gets stuck back there is more visible, but add me to the list of "I've had it on my phone since day 1 with nary a scratch".

hzeat

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2009
Dallas
I also have the case, and have had no problems with fit (if anything, I have to almost pry my phone out of it). I will concede that the dust that gets stuck back there is more visible, but add me to the list of "I've had it on my phone since day 1 with nary a scratch".

+1. good fit, without a single scratch.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007

How's that for overkill?

;)

Haha... I don't blame you. I stay away from these cases because they are prone to scratches inside and out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.