Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
there are so many posts with the signal issue and the latest press conference that threads are being bumped quickly and reposted so often. can you merge them into one? or a couple to clean it up?

Thanks.

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Maybe we can have a separate iphone 4 antenna issue forum. That would sort things out a bit. - Can it be right at the bottom?

seriously though...a lot of threads are being missed that could have good questions and such but because people love making a new thread instead of posting in one that already contains their topic, those useful or informative threads get lost in the 3rd page.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm surprised at the amount of members calling others "whinnying bit****"

And calling each other vague names....

Do these people get time outs?:confused:

It's getting out of hand

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Report any insults/flamewars you come across and we'll get to them...eventually...

There's no point in reporting duplicate threads in the iPhone forum at the moment, though...every single thread on the first 4 page there is a dupe of sorts at the moment... :p

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Report any insults/flamewars you come across and we'll get to them...eventually...

There's no point in reporting duplicate threads in the iPhone forum at the moment, though...every single thread on the first 4 page there is a dupe of sorts at the moment... :p

Maybe it's best to close the whole iPhone section then :p This is MacRumors ;)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'd lock the whole subforum if I could... :p

Actually I wouldn't. It'd just spill out elsewhere. Unfortunately enough users think that their insight, humour, rant, etc is the best thing out there and they feel compelled to make a new thread informing the Internet of their revelation. Unfortunately this isn't the case but... there's not much that can be done about it. It'll die down. Honestly I'd recommend just steering clear of the forums until tomorrow or so. Or remove it from your view.

Anyway... back to the trenches. :(

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008

lol...good point.

in some other forums i'm in, stuff like this will result in closed threads most of the time. maybe too many parents bought their kids iphone and then they come on here and complain about it.

i remember my first phone...flip samsung with that super green screen. it was about the size of a hockey puck...lol

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I think they should ban everyone who has ever posted about iPhone 4. That would improve MacRumors substantially. :eek:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I'd lock the whole subforum if I could... :p

Actually I wouldn't. It'd just spill out elsewhere. Unfortunately enough users think that their insight, humour, rant, etc is the best thing out there and they feel compelled to make a new thread informing the Internet of their revelation. Unfortunately this isn't the case but... there's not much that can be done about it. It'll die down. Honestly I'd recommend just steering clear of the forums until tomorrow or so. Or remove it from your view.

Anyway... back to the trenches. :(

This is what I’ve done. However, I don’t think it’s going to die down in a day or so, unless you guys start banning the obvious trolls. I mean, how many times can they post the same thing? We get it; they’re not happy; they don’t like the iPhone 4 reception issue…blah blah blah blah.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I'm surprised at the amount of members calling others "whinnying bit****"

And calling each other vague names....

Do these people get time outs?:confused:

It's getting out of hand

It's a bit like being a parent and dealing with fractious kids. Do you ignore them completely, to show them there's no reward for attention-seeking misbehavior. Or, do you actively engage them to show them what grown-up discussion looks like?

Tough call. I try a bit of both.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Looooooong time reader, only been posting for about the last year or so.

Yes, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to see no iPhone discussion and to leave the focus on Mac, but things are what they are.

Yes, the iPhone forums are messed up right now and the signal:noise ratio is pretty appalling.

One thing I'd like to see is a "iPhone competitors" subforum. I'm happy to see the Droid posts merged, but honestly I don't come here to see pro-Droid posts made by Droid fanboys, and to me it's really just fractious noise.

But, I'm sure some people see value in them, so maybe they could all be put in one place?

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
there are so many posts with the signal issue and the latest press conference that threads are being bumped quickly and reposted so often. can you merge them into one? or a couple to clean it up?

Thanks.
As much as i agree the moderators and administrators are most likely busy with more pressing concerns. :)

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007

So, by the same logic, only Rumors may be posted here? :D

(I think the system should just randomly and automatically delete 80% of the contents of the iPhone forum. Nothing would be missed. Call it the iPhone Attenuation Program.)

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I just attempted to tell someone why it's a bad thing to go into the Apple Store and jailbreak all the iPhones, whilst fun for a fleeting second for the person, the staff who then have to restore each and every one because of some d*ck is a bit harsh.

I was flamed out the thread. The iPhone forums are still a mess, I rarely find a point in posting in there, you'll just get flamed out by trolls, it's pointless, there either needs to be mods specifically targeting the iPhone forums, or just more mods again.

I know it wasn't long ago we had a big surge of new mods, but given the still dickish nature of the iPhone forums, that hasn't helped, deleting posts might help in the short term, but the dickish members are still around to post again and again and again.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
We are working on getting more help on board (no, we don't need volunteers). In the meantime though, yes we do go through the post reports, so we appreciate you guys keeping them coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.