Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

153522-jobs_iphone_4_press_conference.jpg

Apple has posted video of the iPhone 4 press conference held today at its campus in Cupertino, California. The company has also posted several new pages on its website dedicated to explaining the antenna issue and showing off the company's antenna design and testing facilities.

The press conference offered a presentation from Apple CEO Steve Jobs outlining the company's belief that antenna issues with the iPhone 4 are common to nearly smartphones and that only a very small fraction of customers have reported the issue. He noted, however, that Apple is committed to making sure that every customer is happy and to that end announced that the company will be offering free cases to all customers purchasing iPhone 4s through September 30th.

The company also acknowledged issues with the device's proximity sensor and reported that they will be addressed in a future software update.

Following Jobs' presentation, a Q&A session was held with Jobs, Tim Cook, and Bob Mansfield.

Article Link: Apple Posts Video of iPhone 4 Press Conference, Antenna Information Pages

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Interesting; too bad about 3rd party cases, of which I've bought (3) already aren't getting a REFUND.:(

Just took the Apple Market Research Survey, and I wasn't really impressed with the survey at all. It only addressed customer satisfaction and didn't allow for comments. No questions relating to issues, just wanted to know how satisfied you are with the iPhone 4/3G/3GS. I almost put "somewhat satisfied" with the iPhone 4 as a PHONE, but I'm pretty satisfied overall. Wish they would have taken my order for my NEW iPhone 4 CASE!!!:D:p:D

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hope the q&a is on the vid.

Craiglorocks

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
No matter what presentation Steve is giving, I always want to know what his closet seriously looks like. Black turtlenecks and jeans from wall-to-wall.

ChrisNM

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
I stayed with my 3GS, so I don't have any skin in the game on this issue, but the compromise seems fair - get a bumper or return the phone.

Personally, I think they will improve the antenna design, but they will do it quietly and with no big announcements.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Works for me. I selected High bandwidth btw.

Oh and cnn has the whole Q&A session.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-16 at 12.25.20 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-16 at 12.25.20 PM.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 159

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
I think they've responded the best way they can by giving out a case.

The excuses before that though... not so awesome.

Just look at this image:

htcdroideris-holding-20100715.jpg

His thumb is actually red where he's been holding the phone so tight. You can also tell how tightly it's being held by the fact his hand is actually overlapping the screen. You do not need to hold the iPhone 4 that tightly to cause the issue.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Does MacRumors not check its own links before posting? That's a link to the WWDC 2010 video.

They changed it...it did work, but they redirected the original URL back to the WWDC video. I've updated with the revised URL, so try it again.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
The good news in all this is that Apple will be sure to think things through more thoroughly from now on. The bad news is that updates could take longer.

It's all good, really.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
The person gripping the smartphones IS REALLY TRYING to drop the signal. In the iFail4 you don't need to.

Not an fanboi and don't believe me look at the redness of the death grip. That's all you need to know. :eek:

THUMBS DOWN!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
All smart phones have that problem if you put your hand over the antenna, yes...but not all smart phones are stupid enough to have their antenna on the bottom lower corner where your hand is extremely likely to cover it!!! The SMART place to put an antenna is the TOP of the phone where it is least likely to be covered. I guess that's beyond Apple Engineering to figure out and now they WILL pay the price. This has basically handed the market to Android until iPhone 5 comes out, if not permanently. A bumper will not solve the underlying problem which is that it's downright stupid to put the antenna in that location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.