Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:08 AM   #26
Slip Jigs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zub3qin View Post
I think Gazelle used to be good but they were so overwhelmed with iPhone trade ins before iPhone 4, that they decided they would effectively cancel orders by denying the original price or waiting so long they say the offer expired.

They should have never approved the price in the first place if they didn't think that they would be able to pay. This company may make a quick buck now, but they won't be around for long....
Because of an isolated experience, then they "used" to be good?

Sounds like maybe you're just ticked because you tried to scam them and they caught you.
Slip Jigs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 01:39 AM   #27
vegastime
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Can't speak for the iPhone, but, I used Gazelle for my xbox 360. I told them it was in perfect condition, and they quoted me a price. Got the email earlier this week, stating they would be sending the agreed upon price. No problems at all.
vegastime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 03:26 AM   #28
robby818
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Companies like Gazelle are rip-offs. They play a lot of games and do not live up to their promises. Rarely are you getting a good deal by using them.
I used them once and sent them a 12 year old Dell LCD monitor and got a $39 Costco card (the program ran through Costco so not Gazelle directly which is probably why they didn't screw me). In this case, I feel like I got the better end of the deal. I could not sell that monitor for $40 even on Craigslist and Gazelle paid for the shipping (20 LBS). But yeah stay away from them. I listen to a Leo Laporte's podcasts and was sorry to hear him doing ads for Gazelle. He might as well do ads for Go Daddyand Cash for Gold if he is endorsing this POS company.
robby818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 06:45 AM   #29
zub3qin
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
zub3qin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Jigs View Post
Because of an isolated experience, then they "used" to be good?

Sounds like maybe you're just ticked because you tried to scam them and they caught you.
How did i scam them? Are you Mr. gazelle? It isn't isolated experience either. Hundreds of others have posted similar problems with them.

I hope you lucked out and had a good experience.....but if you did, i think it was just that....luck.
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:35 AM   #30
Sketchr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Recent hassle free experience here. They offered me $116 for my perfect condition 3G iPhone (I'm keeping my 3GS) and it was confirmed. Of course I don't yet have the check in hand yet - it was mailed out thursday. But, I'm assuming I'll receive it.
__________________
iPhone 5s ~ MacBook Pro i7 ~ iPad Air
Sketchr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:39 AM   #31
Sketchr
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
I used Gazelle to sell my iPhone 3GS 32GB. I locked in my price about two weeks before the iPhone 4 shipped. (Gazelle gives you 30 days to get the gadget to them.) At the time I locked my price, Gazelle was quoting a buy price of $272 for my 32GB 3GS in GOOD condition. I also had a coupon code for an additional 10% which boosted the quote to $299.20.

Fast forward to the day I received my iPhone 4 and Gazelle's site was quoting about $100 less for a 32GB 3GS. Frankly, given how much the price had dropped in that two weeks, I fully expected Gazelle to lowball me.

They didn't! After they received my iPhone and evaluated it, they notified me that I would be getting a check for the full $299.20. That check was mailed earlier this week.

My only complaint about Gazelle was that it took them about 6 days to evaluate my iPhone once they received it and then it took them another week before they mailed the check. But, other than that, selling to Gazelle was a fantastic experience! I'll use them again!

Mark
It was strange how they sent me email indicating they "hadn't received my phone yet" twice, yet when they did finally receive it, their evaluation period took about a week.
__________________
iPhone 5s ~ MacBook Pro i7 ~ iPad Air
Sketchr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:40 AM   #32
Lodoss
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I got $315 for my Iphone 3GS. it seems like some folks don't accurately admit the condition of items they send in or they think it's in better condition that it is.
Lodoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:47 AM   #33
marksman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Most everyone who grades their own items over grade the quality they are in. You see it in cars all the time.

Clearly you guys disagreed on the condition your phone was in. It was not a bait and switch. Some people have gotten the agreed upon value. They offer you that value based on the idea that you are providing a fair and accurate evaluation of the condition of your phone.

Saying it is sort of good with some scuff marks on it may not be good enough for them. They offered you a price for a phone in the condition you stated your phone was in. They got the phone and disagreed with your appraisal. It does not make them deceptive.

If they did this to everyone it would be one thing, but I know of many people who have gotten their offer price with their phone.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:48 AM   #34
jammybastard
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: 53705
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbaby View Post
Yes, I agree. Leo Laporte, the Tech Guy, endorsed them, so they seemed reputable.
Last week Leo mentioned on one of his other shows that he had been getting complaints about Gazelle, and essentially called the people who contacted him
"whiners".
I've listened to and watched Leo since he was on Tech TV in the late 90s and this was the first time I ever hear him slight his listeners in favor of a sponsor.
I was actually very surprised and disappointed to hear him say that and I hope he changes his mind about addressing his audience that way.
jammybastard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 07:49 AM   #35
marksman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911 View Post
I've used their service multiple times without a problem, until now. They downgraded my phone.

Their definition of good is as follows: The item has evidence of normal use, such as light scratches, nicks, and scuffs, but is otherwise in 100% functional condition.

They downgraded my phone because of:
Your item had a few light scratches on the back surface.
Your item had a few light nicks on the corners of the housing.

I filed a complaint with the BBB. I don't expect anything do come from it, but its the only way I can make a point. I'd suggest everyone do the same.
So you over value the condition of your phone and fill a BBB report?

Did you check with the BBB before using Gazelle? Do you see how pointless that is?

When people grade something they are trying to sell they almost always over-rate it by one level, sometimes more. So be more honest with them up front and you should not be problems. I suspect given how their system works, it encourages people to over qualify their device to try and get the most money. I suspect they would never get a device and pay more for it, which is too bad, because if they did that, they might not get every person trying to over-rate their phone for top dollar.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:43 AM   #36
grapes911
Moderator
 
grapes911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Citizens Bank Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
So you over value the condition of your phone and fill a BBB report?

Did you check with the BBB before using Gazelle? Do you see how pointless that is?

When people grade something they are trying to sell they almost always over-rate it by one level, sometimes more. So be more honest with them up front and you should not be problems. I suspect given how their system works, it encourages people to over qualify their device to try and get the most money. I suspect they would never get a device and pay more for it, which is too bad, because if they did that, they might not get every person trying to over-rate their phone for top dollar.
Did you even read my post? Their easement of the phone matched their definition of good, yet they still downgraded it. As far as I'm concerned, that is failure to make due on services. The BBB agreed and is investigating the matter, what ever that means.
__________________
grapes911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 03:48 PM   #37
larryj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I recently sent my 3GS to gazelle. I was expecting them to downgrade the condition I reported (good). But it worked out great. They put the quoted amount in my paypal account earlier this week.

My guess is that it just depends on who at gazelle evaluates your hardware as well as how well the seller's opinion on the condition matches reality (or gazelle's reality).

Some of their inspectors are probably a lot pickier than others.
larryj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:39 PM   #38
wicker21
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryj View Post
I recently sent my 3GS to gazelle. I was expecting them to downgrade the condition I reported (good). But it worked out great. They put the quoted amount in my paypal account earlier this week.

My guess is that it just depends on who at gazelle evaluates your hardware as well as how well the seller's opinion on the condition matches reality (or gazelle's reality).

Some of their inspectors are probably a lot pickier than others.
I agree - I sent in a 3G 8GB and got what I expected given the condition of the phone. If you don't like what they offer, have them send it back and try your luck somewhere else.
wicker21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:58 PM   #39
bushbaby
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post
Last week Leo mentioned on one of his other shows that he had been getting complaints about Gazelle, and essentially called the people who contacted him
"whiners".
I've listened to and watched Leo since he was on Tech TV in the late 90s and this was the first time I ever hear him slight his listeners in favor of a sponsor.
I was actually very surprised and disappointed to hear him say that and I hope he changes his mind about addressing his audience that way.
Oh - Gazelle is a sponsor? I don't always get to listen to him and had just heard that he thought they were a good company. I agree with you, that doesn't sound very nice of Leo.

My take on the company at this point is that it's very much the luck of the draw of your evaluator. Some people have had good experiences and others poor ones. I do think the large numbers of people turning in phones in preparation for the 4 made the evaluators lean toward the lower side. My phone was spotless. The hard part was that there was no way to email someone to ask for a second evaluation.

If you're lazy, Gazelle. If you want the best price, Craigslist or Ebay.
bushbaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:09 PM   #40
Psant
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
CExchange almost lowballed me too. They had a quote for $335 for "lighter wear" on my 32GB iPhone 3GS and they evaluated it as "lighter wear," yet offered me $222 for it. I sent them an email calling them out on this bs, and they proceeded to give me the full original appraisal amount. Works for me, the check is in the mail soon.
Psant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:15 PM   #41
db2431
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
If i ever did this id literally wait for the delivery guy to pick my iphone up, when i hear the door ring, turn on my video camera, quickly film the iphone, put it in to the parcel box and film myself giving it to the delivery guy while stating the date/time and which delivery courier im sending with.Then BOOM irrefutable video evidence.
db2431 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:18 PM   #42
Ibjr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern seaboard
This is all true. They did this to two of my phones: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=964200

The short story: they downgraded the 3G phone Apple had done a warranty replacement on so it was brand new.

Then they downgraded the 3GS to poor because of light scratches and scuffs--their "word for word" description of Good. I asked them to look at it again and they said th sheen was scratched off but they would send it back if I wanted. I searched online and found that when people heard this from them the people usually were mailed back phone with a different SN than their own. I took the money and ran.

I am the process of notifying both the consumer protection/economic crime divisons of the NC and FL AG because I sent each phone from a different state.

If I were in your shoes I would notify your state's AG. This company seems to systematically defrauding people and they think they can hid behind "well you accepted the offer."

Sorry, the law doesn't exactly work that way.

Last edited by Ibjr; Jul 17, 2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: iPhone auto correct messed some suff up (all typed on the iPhone 4 w/o signal loss)
Ibjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:24 PM   #43
Ibjr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern seaboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post

Saying it is sort of good with some scuff marks on it may not be good enough for them. They offered you a price for a phone in the condition you stated your phone was in. They got the phone and disagreed with your appraisal. It does not make them deceptive.

If they did this to everyone it would be one thing, but I know of many people who have gotten their offer price with their phone.
Wrong. Unless you believe Apple is in the process of providing Warrenty Replacements that are not in good condition.
Ibjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:39 PM   #44
marksman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibjr View Post
Wrong. Unless you believe Apple is in the process of providing Warrenty Replacements that are not in good condition.
No you are wrong.

They agreed to give you a price if your phone met their criteria. You simply misjudged it. The fact that you got it as a warranty replacement from Apple is irrelevant.

How did they defraud you? They will just send the phones back to you if you don't like the price. The offer was conditional. They don't just make offers and guarantee them based on the owner's assessment, that would be stupid.

Like I said, I know of enough people who have gotten exactly what they were offered to believe people having a problem with them are simply over-valuing their phone trying to get more money. Some might consider that fraud.

You are trying to vouch for a condition of a phone you have not even owned and that someone else did own previously to you, and make a judgment it is "good" or whatever criteria they have...

It is nice you have free time to waste the AG's time in two states, but you are in the wrong here.

The deal is what it is. If you don't like the final offer they make, they send it back. There is no fraud. Again read your original offer, it was entirely conditional and based on THEIR appraisal, not on your appraisal. Their appraisal was simply a guideline to let you know what it would be worth if you accurately could appraise it. Seems you are not good at that.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:54 PM   #45
Philalbe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greater Boston Area
I like selling my old Apple products on eBay. That way I have some semblance of control and can set my own reserve or "buy it now" price. I recently purchased an iPhone 4, and to help alleviate the cost, I sold my 3GS on ebay. I set a buy it now price of $360.00. Didn't know if anyone would go for it, but it sold in under an hour.
Philalbe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:02 PM   #46
Ibjr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eastern seaboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
No you are wrong.

They agreed to give you a price if your phone met their criteria. You simply misjudged it. The fact that you got it as a warranty replacement from Apple is irrelevant.
Look, regardless of how often it has occurred in he past I do not come here to school posters are consumer law. Sufice to say: if they systematically undervalue phones and cite nonexistent scratches, they are violating implied covenant of fair dealing implicit in any commercial dealing. This violation is compounded by the fluid nature of value of this good, which could, possibly, make them liable for the oppertuity cost lost because of their system (assuming immediate mitigation--another sale).

Individual consumers aren't going to follow up because each loss is too small, a class action or a state AG lawsuit is the normal way this type of loss is remedied. Look up what happened to Altell with Mr. Rescue fees (4.99 a month).

This service is very different from a traditional, in person, sale because of the limited duration that the goods hold their values. I highly doubt they are legally protected.

Last edited by Ibjr; Jul 17, 2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: This is not legal advice
Ibjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:20 PM   #47
cactusflier
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: AZ
Good experience with Gazelle. I used Gazelle last month for a old digital camera I had stored away. I do take care of my stuff and had all accessories and manuals to go with the camera. I did rate it perfect condition. They inspected the camera, said it was better than they expected (better than perfect?) and sent $30 more then the agreed upon price. So my one experience with them has been very good. I am sending them my old 3g this week so I guess I will see if these complaints hold water, but I suspect people are over rating their items.
cactusflier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:10 AM   #48
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusflier View Post
Good experience with Gazelle. I used Gazelle last month for a old digital camera I had stored away. I do take care of my stuff and had all accessories and manuals to go with the camera. I did rate it perfect condition. They inspected the camera, said it was better than they expected (better than perfect?) and sent $30 more then the agreed upon price. So my one experience with them has been very good. I am sending them my old 3g this week so I guess I will see if these complaints hold water, but I suspect people are over rating their items.
Yeah, this is major BS probably from someone at Gazelle.
You registered just to post that supposedly Gazelle is fair and decided to give you an extra $30 than the rated condition that you agreed to?
Tell us another one
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:35 AM   #49
Slip Jigs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zub3qin View Post
How did i scam them? Are you Mr. gazelle? It isn't isolated experience either. Hundreds of others have posted similar problems with them.

I hope you lucked out and had a good experience.....but if you did, i think it was just that....luck.
Hundreds? Cmon. Even if it is in the hundreds in reality, there are plenty more that are satisfied Just read this thread - more people are reporting a good experience.

It's strange that people who aren't happy call them a rip off. Just because you think your phone is in better condition than they do doesn't make them a rip off. Just tell them you don't accept the deal and they'll send it back. And it won't take two months to get it, like I've heard that some other companies will do.

And they won't give you the best deal that you could possibly get either - that's not part of the program. It's a trade off for getting less vs dealing with ebay or CL.
Slip Jigs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:52 AM   #50
zub3qin
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
zub3qin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Most everyone who grades their own items over grade the quality they are in. You see it in cars all the time.

Clearly you guys disagreed on the condition your phone was in. It was not a bait and switch. Some people have gotten the agreed upon value. They offer you that value based on the idea that you are providing a fair and accurate evaluation of the condition of your phone.

Saying it is sort of good with some scuff marks on it may not be good enough for them. They offered you a price for a phone in the condition you stated your phone was in. They got the phone and disagreed with your appraisal. It does not make them deceptive.

If they did this to everyone it would be one thing, but I know of many people who have gotten their offer price with their phone.
From Gazelle's site:
"Overall Condition Poor: The item functions well, and has major scratches, cracks, dents, or other cosmetic issues.
Fair: The item functions perfectly but has obvious cosmetic issues.
Good: The item has evidence of normal use, such as light scratches, nicks, and scuffs, but is otherwise in 100% functional condition.
Perfect: The item is like new and in perfect condition with no scratches, scuffs or signs of use."

By their definition my phone is GOOD.
POOR is far from GOOD.
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vote - Do you use any case with your iPhone 4? guklein iPhone Accessories 53 Nov 7, 2011 03:36 PM
Are you really going to sell your iPhone 4 for the 5? The Game 161 iPhone 28 Jul 5, 2011 02:44 PM
Anyone here used sellyourmac.com? Care to share your experience? lokiju Community Discussion 2 Jan 14, 2011 07:58 PM
How do scammers use fax machines against your iPhone? duggram iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Nov 17, 2009 08:02 AM
What would you do if someone asked to see your iPhone? iboy38 iPhone 63 Aug 3, 2009 02:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC