Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

230812-anechoic_chamber_1.jpg

Earlier today, Apple posted a video of today's press conference addressing antenna issues with the iPhone 4, also adding to its website a section dedicated to antenna design and testing as highlighted during the press conference.

While the new section of Apple's site provides an interesting glimpse into the company's $100 million investment in antenna design and testing labs, Apple went one step further and invited 11 members of the media on a brief tour of the previously-secret labs following today's event. Macworld reports on the tour, which was led by Apple engineer Ruben Caballero, who was the subject of a Bloomberg report yesterday claiming that he had warned Apple CEO Steve Jobs early in the iPhone 4 design process that the antenna design could cause reception problems, a claim Jobs today called a "crock" and "total ********".
The point of the tour was clear: to show that Apple takes the testing of wireless issues very seriously, and that suggestions that the company was simply sleeping on the job when it came time to test the iPhone 4 are misguided.
The report highlights the secrecy of the facility, noting that even Apple's PR representatives on the tour had never visited it before and that the lab's workbenches were covered with black cloths, a security procedure followed even when other Apple employees enter the facility.
We toured several different chambers, and they're pretty eerie places. Caballero would occasionally step into a chamber, leading in a few reporters (they're generally far too small to fit more than a handful of people inside), and the moment he entered the chamber his voice became nearly inaudible, due to most of his sound being absorbed by the foam on the chamber's walls. Even the handles of the heavy doors are made of Fiberglas, and the doors are lined with copper to ensure the entire room is a Faraday cage.
Apple's tests, which can take up to 25 hours to run across all frequencies, are conducted in a variety of settings in the company's testing chambers, including positioning the device on styrofoam blocks, in human hands, and in the vicinity of realistic "phantom" mannequin body parts.

230812-anechoic_chamber_2.jpg

Finally, Apple showed off its CT scanner purchased for scanning products for defects without requiring them to be opened and changing their electromagnetic properties, as well as a field-testing van that allows engineers to test reception in real-world settings.

Article Link: A Look Inside Apple's Wireless Testing Facilities

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Pretty intense facility. I'm a bit surprised that Apple let non-Apple folks in.

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
i would be a little scared to go in there. it looks like a room that if you mess up evil steve robots will shoot you with machine guns. just sayin

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
I guess the room is defective too its result was the iphone 4 antenna design. :D

xxgilxx

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Looks like if you step inside you'll hear the Mortal Kombat voice say "FIGHT"

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
I guess the room is defective too its result was the iphone 4 antenna design. :D

Whether they spend $100 million or $500 million on antenna test facilities, if they don't test their products the right way, then they will release a defective product. I bet not a single one of their anechoic chamber tests involved even a human dummy holding an iphone. They probably just tested the iPhone 4 in total isolation.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Whether they spend $100 million or $500 million on antenna test facilities, if they don't test their products the right way, then they will release a defective product. I bet not a single one of their anechoic chamber tests involved even a human dummy holding an iphone. They probably just tested the iPhone 4 in total isolation.

You would bet wrong.

halhiker

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
multi purpose room

I wonder if they first built this room to test the "audiophile" capabilities of the iPod Hi Fi.

ozie

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
was thinking the same thing.. not all iPhone 4 users use the phone in a $100mill room. they use it at home and one the street and in the car.. and everything holds a phone different, left handed or right.. high up the phone or down the bottom..

they proved they couldnt test it out in the field because they lost it.. they could have just used the FIND MY IPHONE feature to go and get it back

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China

that quite an assumption esp. since there is a guy holding the iPhone in the test chamber in one of the pictures.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
was thinking the same thing.. not all iPhone 4 users use the phone in a $100mill room. they use it at home and one the street and in the car.. and everything holds a phone different, left handed or right.. high up the phone or down the bottom..

they proved they couldnt test it out in the field because they lost it.. they could have just used the FIND MY IPHONE feature to go and get it back

Again, read here and they describe every way in which it is tested.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Not impressed. Nobody is sitting in such a room making calls from their iPhone. I refuse to let Apple distract me by showing off images of their spiked room with a high chair. Nice try, Apple.

iObject

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
NYC
my question is where did they build the rooms...on the current campus?

and rubberbands? really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.