Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2004, 01:15 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

The iMac G5: A PC user migrates to a Mac

Category: Reviews
Link: The iMac G5: A PC user migrates to a Mac
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 01:52 AM   #2
nagromme
macrumors G4

Some useful tips and links in there, for getting data and settings moved from PC to Mac.

And a two-button mouse IS useful--I'm a fan of 5 or more! (I also like the one-button simplicity and use my Apple mouse about half the time.) But just to counter the "one button fear factor" of Windows users: Macs don't NEED a second button the way Windows does. A second button on Mac is a great shortcut--NOT the primary way of performing major tasks. And the Control key on the keyboard does the same thing. Oh, and your PC USB mouse will work fine on Mac. So take the plunge
nagromme is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 02:24 AM   #3
Santaduck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Santaduck Send a message via AIM to Santaduck
The utilities mentioned in the article were good information to know, such as move2mac.

I'll respectfully disagree about the mouse button issue; on my kensington trackball, i have one of the rightside buttons set to control click, and it does make life a little easier than the ctrl-click. On my iMac g5 I'm bearing w/the 1-button BT mouse if only b/c I'm hoping Kensington will release a BT version of their smaller trackball (the orbit)... anything but Logitech trackballs...

Plunging is a big deal, esp. when you have existing content or crucial apps in XP, but apple does make it nice w/iLife, Mail, and browsers. I can understand some trepidation in handheld syncing (might have to get a utility at markspace.com, for example with a Clie) or with peripherals (might have to use Hamrick's vuescan for unsupported devices), but I agree that most switchers among the consumer class, once they do take the plunge, would never go back.
Santaduck is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 07:00 AM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G4

I agree, it does make life easier if you're used to it. But it's not vital on Mac the way it is on Windows.

(BTW, I seem to be the only Mac user I know--including switchers!--who wants more than one button! They all use the Apple mouse even if they also own a 2-button. Simplicity has its appeal.)
nagromme is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 09:06 AM   #5
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
(BTW, I seem to be the only Mac user I know--including switchers!--who wants more than one button! They all use the Apple mouse even if they also own a 2-button. Simplicity has its appeal.)
Well then, I'm number 2.

I use an MS Wheel Mouse Optical on my G4. I need three buttons for certain apps (like Emacs) that are written for three buttons (and are a pain to use with keyboard equivalents.) I've also grown quite addicted to having a wheel on the mouse and actively dislike using mice that don't have them.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 09:09 AM   #6
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
[...] But just to counter the "one button fear factor" of Windows users: Macs don't NEED a second button the way Windows does. A second button on Mac is a great shortcut--NOT the primary way of performing major tasks. And the Control key on the keyboard does the same thing. Oh, and your PC USB mouse will work fine on Mac. So take the plunge
Yeah, but just like Windows keyboards have a "control" key, it's still faster to right-click if you've already got your hand on the mouse. Also, Windows users are used to that way of doing thing. And since the end-result is the same, it's best to use the mouse if that's your way of doing things. Windows or OS X, both can use the right-click or the keyboard key.

And yes, I will be taking my Logitech ergonomic USB mouse when I switch. I just need to find a good IBM USB keyboard and I'm set (why oh why did I buy a PS/2 keyboard...). Since I've known I wanted to switch though, I didn't buy a single piece of hardware that wasn't OS X compatible (USB MIDI adapter, for example).

Anyway, the Apple mouse and keyboard will end up on eBay. That's one way of lowering the computer's cost. ;-)
Yvan256 is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 09:13 AM   #7
shamino
macrumors 68040

Overall, it's a well written article. Just a few minor nits to pick:

1: VPC isn't a Windows emulator, it's a PC emulator. It runs (or is capable of running) an ordinary off-the-shelf installation of Windows, as well as many other PC operating systems.

2: I agree that the lack of multi-button BlutTooth mice is a significant problem. People that want such a device should write letters to Microsoft and Logitech requesting one. I suspect they're not made because BT mice are not common in the PC world, but the manufacturers may think differently if they see a lot of demand from the Mac world.

3: If the RF dongle from the wireless MS Mouse is ugly, it can be hidden. Paint it white and affix it to the back of the Mac (preferably with something removable, like double-sided tape.) Not as pretty as something built-in, but better looking than a black box hanging out the back.

4: The chip in the Detto USB cable isn't an accelerator (even though they advertise it as such.) It's an interface necessary for connecting two computers via USB. (USB does not allow to root-hubs to be connected on a single bus.) With their cable, each computer connects to the chip, not to the other computer. The chip acts as a router to allow data transfer between its two ports.

Detto claims that the chip is an accelerator, but their posted speed (500M in 15 minutes) is 4.4Mbps - well below USB 1.1's top speed. It's faster than their parallel port cable, but only because USB is faster than a parallel port, not because of any special acceleration hardware.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 09:26 AM   #8
Cooknn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
I agree that the lack of multi-button BlutTooth mice is a significant problem. People that want such a device should write letters to Microsoft and Logitech requesting one. I suspect they're not made because BT mice are not common in the PC world, but the manufacturers may think differently if they see a lot of demand from the Mac world.
Microsoft makes one. I use it. The Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth.
Cooknn is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:53 AM   #9
2GMario
macrumors regular

i use a logitech RF keyboard and mouse with my G5 and use the stock apple keyboard and mouse with my laptop

the 3rd button on my logitech mouse i have programmed to all applications in expose - makes for a nice shortcut as i usually work with 7+ windows open across 2 screens

either way, nice article. doesnt logitech also make a bluetooth keyboard and mouse ? im sure you could pair them with the bluetooth adapter apple gives you instead of having another adapter hanging from the usb port.

i once had a microsoft bluetooth mouse. didnt like it. bad reception, bad battery life, etc... i've allways been happy with logitech accessories
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:03 AM   #10
neoelectronaut
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256
Yeah, but just like Windows keyboards have a "control" key, it's still faster to right-click if you've already got your hand on the mouse. Also, Windows users are used to that way of doing thing. And since the end-result is the same, it's best to use the mouse if that's your way of doing things. Windows or OS X, both can use the right-click or the keyboard key.

And yes, I will be taking my Logitech ergonomic USB mouse when I switch. I just need to find a good IBM USB keyboard and I'm set (why oh why did I buy a PS/2 keyboard...). Since I've known I wanted to switch though, I didn't buy a single piece of hardware that wasn't OS X compatible (USB MIDI adapter, for example).

Anyway, the Apple mouse and keyboard will end up on eBay. That's one way of lowering the computer's cost. ;-)
You know, I find that other than for games, the One-Button mouse works very well. (Ever try to play Diablo 2 or a FPS with just one button and no scroll-wheel? I don't reccomend it.) Though, I don't even play that many games anymore, not on my computer anyway.

I find that OS X is better built than Windows, in the fact that much of the time you don't even really need the right mouse button. Typically you can use drag-and-drop for many of the tasks that a right button would accomplish. It does the same thing, just in a different way.
neoelectronaut is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 01:37 PM   #11
Mainyehc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
2: I agree that the lack of multi-button BlutTooth mice is a significant problem. People that want such a device should write letters to Microsoft and Logitech requesting one. I suspect they're not made because BT mice are not common in the PC world, but the manufacturers may think differently if they see a lot of demand from the Mac world.
There's no such need... For people who like having two buttons and a scroll wheel, but stick with the original Apple mouse because of its looks or simplicity or whatever, there's already a good mouse, in both wired and bluetooth versions:

http://www.macmice.com/themouse.html
http://www.macmice.com/themousebt.html

I have one, USB. It's rather nice, except for the scrolling, but I'm suspicious it the OS's fault, though. And the tracking mechanism is fine, still, I think the Apple Mouse's is better. Anyway, it's a fairly decent mouse. If only they would make a laser version... *drools*
Mainyehc is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 02:54 PM   #12
Photorun
Banned

My girlfriend (finally) switched to a be-a-utiful iMac G5 1.8 17" just a couple weeks ago. She absolutely loves it. It seems the guy in the article and I went through the same stuff to a T! The only major complain my girlfriend has had is the one button, scrolless mouse. Interestingly, as much as a Mac Zealot as I am and will defend a lot of Apple/Jobs actions this is one where I let them get into crosshairs on because myself, as a hardcore graphics person who NEEDS more than one button all the time (own a five button Kensington) sees this as a HUGE glaring issue of Apple, NOT having an option of a multi-button mouse. It's stupid, it's ignorant, and they're missing out and missing the point. Hell, their OS uses contextual menus, FinalCut uses contextual menus as does Motion (I know, I use them) but they don't make a mouse? It's moronic of Apple, I wish they'd just get the clue and start making one.

You'd think when switchers are requesting a feature, a really GOOD feature, Apple would listen.
Photorun is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 03:24 PM   #13
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photorun
... myself, as a hardcore graphics person who NEEDS more than one button all the time (own a five button Kensington) sees this as a HUGE glaring issue of Apple, NOT having an option of a multi-button mouse.
Excuse me?

The fact that Apple doesn't bundle a multi-button mouse with their products doesn't mean they aren't giving you the option. Mac OS has built-in support for all the buttons and wheels you want. And you can even buy third-party mice from the Apple store at the same time you buy your Mac.

The fact that they don't sell one with an Apple logo printed on it doesn't mean they aren't giving you an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photorun
It's stupid, it's ignorant, and they're missing out and missing the point. Hell, their OS uses contextual menus, FinalCut uses contextual menus as does Motion (I know, I use them) but they don't make a mouse? It's moronic of Apple, I wish they'd just get the clue and start making one.
Why bother when there are dozens of good models already available?

Sounds to me like you have no problem, but you want to complain anyway.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 03:53 PM   #14
Fiveos22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Fiveos22 Send a message via Yahoo to Fiveos22
Quote:
2: I agree that the lack of multi-button BlutTooth mice is a significant problem. People that want such a device should write letters to Microsoft and Logitech requesting one.
Its interesting that you say this, because the article alluded to it as well. I personally have owned two third party bluetooth mice, and althought I like the logitech one far better, both work without vice with a Mac.

Two I've tried:
Logitech MX 700 http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/mouse/logitech_mx700
Microsoft Bluetooth Intellimouse http://www.siliconpopculture.com/review/29_0_2_0_M8/

A few more I have found:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=032
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=7110
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=157641
http://www.thinkoutside.com/products/bt-mouse-ppc.html
http://www.bluetake.com/Products/BT500.htm
http://www.thermaltake.com/keyboardM...se/btmouse.htm
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/6e32/
http://www.macwireless.com/html/prod...oth/mouse.html

They're out there, all you have to do is look for them.

On a side note, apple has created a very solid bluetooth mouse...albeit a one button mouse, its battery life and general feel are both more than passable.
Fiveos22 is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 05:10 PM   #15
Santaduck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Santaduck Send a message via AIM to Santaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveos22
Its interesting that you say this, because the article alluded to it as well. I personally have owned two third party bluetooth mice, and althought I like the logitech one far better, both work without vice with a Mac.
I really think if you try a Kensington device, you'll never go back to Logitech. This goes for mice & trackballs alike, due to their drivers with excellent acceleration control, and the quality of the actual device. IMHO. If you try it & disagree, then fine =)

(no i don't work for them or sell them)

http://www.kensington.com/
Santaduck is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 06:20 PM   #16
sworthy
macrumors regular

I agree that apple doesn't have (or need) to make a multi-button bluetooth mouse. It would be nice though... here's why:

1. As computer people, we typically have an extra mouse, or wouldn't mind too much ponying up for a new one - a lot of consumers don't want to have to buy something then go to ebay to get rid of it.

2. In its current state, the market has not delivered a bluetooth mouse I want to buy. I like the logitech mx900 (or 1000), but I don't want to have to plug the charger in via usb - no cables is the whole point. I also hear that logitech and microsoft don't have 100% compatible mac drivers.

3. Expose. Apple built the operating system for extra mice buttons. I admit that when I say I use a 7-button mouse, most people say "why?", but using expose with a keyboard is not nearly as efficient IMHO.

4. Quality. Though most mice are certainly respectable, Apple could most likely produce a higher quality mouse (especially better than the mixed reviews on the macmice product).

Remember, I don't necessarily think that they should make it (and if they do, it should be an option). I want the 'standard' to be a one-button mouse for programming reasons, but I would also like Apple to hit a market where I at least think there is demand.
sworthy is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2004, 08:59 PM   #17
neonart
macrumors 65816

As a huge Mac fan, I believe a two button/scroll wheel mouse would be extremly helpful in sales to switchers. It's a real concern. "How do you you right click!?" As opposed to letting them consider this a negative of the Mac platform until a salesperson or Mac enthusiast tells them to use control click or to just get a multi-button mice, why not give it to them?

Out of the box a USB 2 button scroll wheel mouse. Or make it an option when you are buying, say a drop down menu.

It may be that Apple does not do it to keep the Aftermarket happy selling Mice. If Apple provided a great 2 button scroll mice, you think Kensington, MacAlly, Logitech, Microsoft, etc. would have any reason to make a mouse? Maybe for some art pros and gamers, but thats it.

I still say make such a mouse but let it suck so that the aftermarket can sell theirs too.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion