Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
GA
Hey Everyone, I was given a PowerBook G4 15" today. I need to fix it, but I can't find out what exactly is wrong. I've used MROOGLE and I can't find any problem quite like what I'm experiencing. In my case, the laptop will turn on, make the chime, and stay stuck on a white/grey screen. No apple, no spinning gear, no nothing. Just a blank white/grey screen. However, when I insert the Leopard DVD and hold down "C" the apple appears as well as the little spinning gear. That goes on for a few minutes. BUT, after those few minutes are up the small gear still spins, but the Apple logo is replaced with a prohibitory sign (like what you would see on a non-smoking or no parking sign) and it sticks there and sometime says that I need to re-start my computer. The same happens with the Tiger disk. Also, when I place the Leopard or Tiger disk in the SuperDrive and hold down "option" so that I can boot OS X from the DVD, I click the little continue arrow and nothing happens. I've reset everything there is to be reset, and I've opened up the computer and re-seated everything that could possibly be re-seated. RAM, HDD, all connector cables, etc. There isn't any visible physical damage inside of the computer either.

The most recent thing I've tried was to boot off of a PPC-specific Ubuntu disk. It does some stuff and lets me run the kernel, but after that the computer gets stuck on a black screen and does nothing at all.

I'd really appreciate it if you all could offer some advice as to what may be wrong. All suggestions and ideas are welcome too.

Thanks for reading all of this.

-Stephen.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...All suggestions and ideas are welcome too.

really sounds like bad ram to me. if you are geeky, take out the ram (memory) blow out the slots, clean off the edge of the ram with a plain pink pencil eraser, and then a clean cloth like a t-shirt, and the re-install and try again. if that won't get it, you might try one chip in one slot and then the other slot, and then the other chip one slot at a time to trouble shoot the problem. lots of these systems had a 'ram slot failure' which might be the problem here.

other than that, could be a dying logic board (motherboard), but not likely the hard drive as that would have killed the boot/install in a different way. nice move with linux by the way, check all the options! best of luck.

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
GA
I'm starting to think that it's the HDD. As soon as I posted this thread, the PowerBook booted!! First try. I did put the RAM in a different slot, but that was earlier. There is only one stick. I've shut down and booted multiple times now. This is a very, very strange problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.