Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
I do backups the old fashion way of dumping everything onto a HD from time to time. I'm thinking of going the Time Machine route. I'm wondering if the HD you are using for backup has to be connect to your computer at all times for time machine to work.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I do backups the old fashion way of dumping everything onto a HD from time to time. I'm thinking of going the Time Machine route. I'm wondering if the HD you are using for backup has to be connect to your computer at all times for time machine to work.

Only if you want it to do automatic backup. If you just want to do one a week or a month, just plug it back in and it will backup then. It will,every now and then, tell you that it hasn't done a backup in a while and you need to hook up a hd to do so.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
Only if you want it to do automatic backup. If you just want to do one a week or a month, just plug it back in and it will backup then. It will,every now and then, tell you that it hasn't done a backup in a while and you need to hook up a hd to do so.

Awesome, thank you!

Another questions... will it backup from multiple drives fine? Or does it only want to back up your system drive?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Awesome, thank you!

Another questions... will it backup from multiple drives fine? Or does it only want to back up your system drive?

Yes, it can backup multiple drives as well. Just check from Options that it is not in the Exclude list

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.