Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isf215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Im going to be in college in a month and im planning on buying a new macbook pro. I am planning on getting a 32GB touch. The question is should i:

A) Get the FREE 8GB ipod touch and spend the rebate money on a 4th Generation touch?

B) Get the 32GB ipod touch for $100 (After rebate) an not bother with the 4th generation?

Thanks

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
I would get the standard free 8GB, and save the rebate until the 4th Gen comes out to make a final decision.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Get the 8GB iPod touch, wait until August strolls around, and sell it sealed brand new in the box on either eBay or craigslist for $150-$165. Then, put the money towards a new iPod touch 4G, we are hoping for price drops.

elephantinc

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
Get the 8GB iPod touch, wait until August strolls around, and sell it sealed brand new in the box on either eBay or craigslist for $150-$165. Then, put the money towards a new iPod touch 4G, we are hoping for price drops.

This. Resale value is good, so it shouldn't cost much for the upgrade to 4th generation

isf215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
the thing is i need a 32GB touch, cuz i have over 8GB of music alone, and if Apple doesn't really upgrade then the 32 GB will be alot more that just $100, after rebate, so im still kind of on the fence but i don like the sell the 8GB on ebay idea.

Aero26

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
the thing is i need a 32GB touch, cuz i have over 8GB of music alone, and if Apple doesn't really upgrade then the 32 GB will be alot more that just $100, after rebate, so im still kind of on the fence but i don like the sell the 8GB on ebay idea.
LOL. Compress that ****. If Apple is really implementing everything they're feeding us, you can wait and buy yourself a higher capacity 4G.

btw, you guys really that think once the 4G drops for presumably $199 for 8 or 16G, anyone will drop just $30 less on the outdated model. I mean, this won't be a 2G/3G difference; which was for the most part unnoticeable. This is a complete form factor revision.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
You would be surprised what people will buy on ebay. Even if you waited until Xmas you could probably get a decent amount for a 2nd gen touch. iPods are so ubiquitous that everyone and their mother wants one, and most holiday buyers are uneducated and as long as they get an iPod for themselves or their kids they are happy. The kids might not even know there is a difference until they see their friends with the brand new ipods.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
You would be surprised what people will buy on ebay. Even if you waited until Xmas you could probably get a decent amount for a 2nd gen touch. iPods are so ubiquitous that everyone and their mother wants one, and most holiday buyers are uneducated and as long as they get an iPod for themselves or their kids they are happy. The kids might not even know there is a difference until they see their friends with the brand new ipods.
Yep. I think the kids would know, but theyre not the ones buying.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Yeah its all in the buyer, most people who buy on ebay think they are getting a good deal regardless if they are or not. Believe me I sell on ebay and I can get way more than I thought I ever could for outdated things especially around the holidays. But it usually only works around the holidays, because the gift-giving buyers are the ones who are completely uninformed (stupid) and have the deepest pockets and will buy whatever just to get something for their kids (especially if retail stores are sold out of the latest product).

For example if I sold a Nintendo DS Like, used on ebay for $90 during the holidays by the time they pay for shipping a few more bucks would get them a brand new DS Lite at a store since the retail price of it is $130. Or they could follow sales and buy a brand new DSi, which is the latest version for around $130 as I have seen them go on sale for around that price at various online retailers.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Yeah its all in the buyer, most people who buy on ebay think they are getting a good deal regardless if they are or not. Believe me I sell on ebay and I can get way more than I thought I ever could for outdated things especially around the holidays. But it usually only works around the holidays, because the gift-giving buyers are the ones who are completely uninformed (stupid) and have the deepest pockets and will buy whatever just to get something for their kids (especially if retail stores are sold out of the latest product).

For example if I sold a Nintendo DS Like, used on ebay for $90 during the holidays by the time they pay for shipping a few more bucks would get them a brand new DS Lite at a store since the retail price of it is $130. Or they could follow sales and buy a brand new DSi, which is the latest version for around $130 as I have seen them go on sale for around that price at various online retailers.
Yep, its the best time to sell just about anything around October-November, even in December.

aozoranotsuki

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Im going to be in college in a month and im planning on buying a new macbook pro. I am planning on getting a 32GB touch. The question is should i:

A) Get the FREE 8GB ipod touch and spend the rebate money on a 4th Generation touch?

B) Get the 32GB ipod touch for $100 (After rebate) an not bother with the 4th generation?

Thanks

my question is where are you getting a free 8 gig after rebate?

SoraLimit

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
really? ive never heard of this. is it in any store or their website or what? this is let the answer to my "buy one now or wait 2 months" ordeal

It's in the Apple website. You just need to buy a Macbook, and the iPod touch is basically free from the rebate.

bfritze00

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Denver, USA
Option A

I'd recommend doing what I did: Get your Macbook, pay just the difference between the 8gb and 32.
I sold that 32 for 250 just months later, and now have a 64gb 3rd gen.
Sounds like you could end up with a nice one to resell whenever the 4th gen comes out.
I haven't heard rumors of a date yet!..?

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I'd recommend doing what I did: Get your Macbook, pay just the difference between the 8gb and 32.
I sold that 32 for 250 just months later, and now have a 64gb 3rd gen.
Sounds like you could end up with a nice one to resell whenever the 4th gen comes out.
I haven't heard rumors of a date yet!..?
There arent going to be rumors. It is coming out in September when all the other Apple products are usually updated.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
The new Touch should look just like the IP4...this time with all cameras as well.

isf215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
It will be more likely to look like a mini iPad.

I wouldn't mind it looking like either. Id just really like it to have a camera, be it a 3 mega pixel or 5 mega pixel, for the ease of taking pictures AND uploading them to like facebook or something like that.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I wouldn't mind it looking like either. Id just really like it to have a camera, be it a 3 mega pixel or 5 mega pixel, for the ease of taking pictures AND uploading them to like facebook or something like that.
If they dont have a camera they will lose an incredible amount of customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.