Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooksta

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I get awesome battery life with my new i5 15" MacBook Pro EXCEPT when I start watching youtube. I swear I might get 2 to 2.5 hours of battery life then. My experience is still somewhat limited to MacBooks vs PC laptops.

Here's my observation...
For general web-surfing I can get 5.5 hours out of the Mac versus about 3 hours on my IBM laptop. However, I STILL get about 3 hours out of my IBM when I watch videos or youtube. Is there something I should be turning off when watching youtube?

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
Yoh could try forcing the integrated GFX to stay on, but to be honest, you main problem with YouTube is that flash for mac is a resource hog. You could try the html5 beta for YouTube? I've also heard the latest flash beta is much more efficient.

Hooksta

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Sounds mostly likely I just need to deal with it. I appreciate the response!

It's not the end of the world by any means.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I get awesome battery life with my new i5 15" MacBook Pro EXCEPT when I start watching youtube. I swear I might get 2 to 2.5 hours of battery life then. My experience is still somewhat limited to MacBooks vs PC laptops.

Here's my observation...
For general web-surfing I can get 5.5 hours out of the Mac versus about 3 hours on my IBM laptop. However, I STILL get about 3 hours out of my IBM when I watch videos or youtube. Is there something I should be turning off when watching youtube?

flash is very battery intensive, and the mac version of flash player is even worse than the windows version.
there are many safari extensions that force videos to play as HTML5 instead of flash, or you can enable the HTLM5 beta here, but that only shows most videos in HMTL5, where the extensions work on all videos.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
sure thing, its right here

This one makes the videos play in a quicktime player while some others (I have seen two or three, but this is the only one I could remember the name of) make them play in the normal HTML5 youtube player.

Lokrado

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Denmark
Yoh could try forcing the integrated GFX to stay on, but to be honest, you main problem with YouTube is that flash for mac is a resource hog. You could try the html5 beta for YouTube? I've also heard the latest flash beta is much more efficient.

totally, flash on my i7 can consume up to 50% - html5 stays around 3% for the same videos

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009

Here's my observation...

Your results are correct. The mac's battery life idling is very good compared to pc. However, at load, they're just intel machines with nvidia or integrated graphics at heart, and they consume just as many watts as the PCs.

This is my reasoning as to why I get very similar battery life as a windows pc when doing anything besides word processing.

Frankly, until proven otherwise, the size of the battery is what matters most.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
2.5 hours of battery life is about right if you watch youtube videos online. Skype calls are also pretty bad with around the same time. Your fans will also be spinning at pretty high rpm's too.

demonsavatar

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010

I think this is the main issue, flash might be signalling your nVidia GPU, a quick way to kill battery life. The intel integrated graphics can handle flash just fine. Use gfxCardStatus to force intel-only graphics.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I think this is the main issue, flash might be signalling your nVidia GPU, a quick way to kill battery life. The intel integrated graphics can handle flash just fine. Use gfxCardStatus to force intel-only graphics.

How do you do that? I thought we did not have that option on the new Macbook Pro's..? :confused::confused:

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Right now I'm watching videos on youtube, and my battery is at 61%, and I have approximately 2:09 of battery left. I only have one of the 7 hour batteries, so I'd say that's not bad. I use a program called plex to watch my videos. It seems to helps with battery life quite a bit in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.