Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I probably shouldn't write this right now as I'm *really* annoyed at present. After buying my iBook six months ago I started hearing what sounded like a metal ball bouncing inside. I spoke with Apple about this at the time and they said they couldn't do anything unless the HD stopped working. My computer is now working SO SLOWLY that it almost drives me crazy. I've got an extra 512 RAM from Crucial in it...and yet it still takes sometimes up to a minute to save a file in Text Edit...with no other apps running and no other windows open. The bouncing metal ball sound continues over half the time, regardless of what I'm doing. At what point can I say "enough!" It's just not right that my nearly new computer is acting like a five year old pc laptop. Any chance that Apple will look at it? Any thoughts would be much appreciated...

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Try repairing permissions, updating prebindings, blah blah blah - all the usual stuff.

I'd sudgest getting the hardware test CD/DVD that came with your iBook, and run a hardware test on it.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
GRRR...grrrr...GRRRR...What do I need to do to get a new HD from Apple?

The bouncing metal ball sound is the sound of your hard drive's read/write head slamming against the stops at the end of its travel, over and over again. That's why doing anything takes so long -- the drive is spending all of its time bashing its brains out and only occasionally reading/writing. I have never been able to resurrect a drive from this state. Hope you are well backed up.

In my opinion, repairing permissions etc. innt gonna work ('cause you have to be able to read and write in order to repair permissions, no?) MAYBE a reformat will help, but nothing short of that if I am right.

Apple wants the drive to die first? OK, just set it to doing some long operation, like indexing the drive or searching the drive for the letter "A", and let it run for a week until it burns out the head actuator.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Thanks guys! I thought perhaps I was over-reacting...I tend to be non-confrontational and often assume that I'm doing something wrong...the situation has just become ridiculous...the idea of a road trip to an apple store was a good one, reality...i'm on my way! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.