Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roflcopter101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Hey guys i got my iphone 3gs and it was working fine on FW 3.1.3 and now i stupidly upgraded 4.0.1 ( or whatever itunes is upgrading too) and now i cant restore back to any firmware version. It always gives me the same message. “The Iphone could not be restored. The device isn't eligible for the requested build”. Please help me fix this

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
You can go higher... but you can't go lower.

Well you can... but not as easy as you thought :p

roflcopter101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
how do i fix it. I cant do anything with it now because its not unlocked. Its not jailbroken

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
how do i fix it. I cant do anything with it now because its not unlocked. Its not jailbroken

With the 3GS and now i4 models you cannot restore to anything but the latest firmware version thats out.
Very bad move.
Never update a JB or unlocked iphone again to official firmware thru itunes cause it will always lock up. The unlock is not permanent, its only thru software.
If you have SHSH's saved on file locally or on cydia for 3.1.3 you can restore to that. If not you just gotta wait for a new JB and unlock to be released.
Lesson learned I hope.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006

If you have the old bootrom, you might have a chance at unlocking it. I'm not too sure though. I know for a fact that yu can't jailbreak or unlock the newer bootrom models.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
If you have the old bootrom, you might have a chance at unlocking it. I'm not too sure though. I know for a fact that yu can't jailbreak or unlock the newer bootrom models.

Wrong facts.
Bootrom doesnt mean it can be JB.
Currently there is no JB tools available to JB any iphone 3GS model on official 4.0 or 4.0.1

compg318

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
Wrong facts.
Bootrom doesnt mean it can be JB.
Currently there is no JB tools available to JB any iphone 3GS model on official 4.0 or 4.0.1

Not entirely true. If he has a backed up shsh on Cydia which he more than likely does if he was jailbroken prior, he can downgrade back, Jailbreak with blackra1n or anything else but Spirit. And restore to a modified ipsw created with Pwnage Tool.

Sinfire

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Not entirely true. If he has a backed up shsh on Cydia which he more than likely does if he was jailbroken prior, he can downgrade back, Jailbreak with blackra1n or anything else but Spirit. And restore to a modified ipsw created with Pwnage Tool.

Doesn't the phone have to be Jailbroken before it can be downgraded, or even connected to cydia ?

Sinfire

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
so is my iphone totally inoperable until the new JB comes out?

The phone still works. Just get a plan from AT&T and download apps from the App store. Otherwise, it can still work as an iPod, and you can connect to wireless networks for your data needs.

roflcopter101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
The phone still works. Just get a plan from AT&T and download apps from the App store. Otherwise, it can still work as an iPod, and you can connect to wireless networks for your data needs.

i have tmobile, no att sim card

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

What I said is entirely true. There is nothing now to JB any 3GS model on official 4.0 or 4.0.1
Exactly if he has SHSH's. He cannot JB on 4.0 but only downgrade to 3.1.3 and then JB and unlock IF.
And its not always a definate thing everyone that was JB has SHSH's backed up on cydias server.
What was mentioned above was that if you got the old bootrom you're ok. And that clearly is not the case.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
how do i do that. how do i use shsh?

You got alot of research and reading to do.
Do you remember when you opened up cydia if on the top of the page if it displayed something like this?: "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS 3.1.2, 3.1.3 etc...
SHSH-OSX-0.jpg

What you will need to do is edit your hosts file to redirect to cydias server to get your shshs in order for itunes to let you downgrade your iphone 3GS.
Then download either an official 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 ipsw file and try to hold down shift-restore or option-restore and select one of those firmware files.
If it lets you restore then you can use previous JB tools to JB it and then install ultrasnow thru cydia to unlock it.
But just by your questions I dont know if you're up for this long and complicated many step process.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
WTF?
Dude, get it together.
We cant help you if you cant help yourself with some straight answers with what you're trying to do and what you had before and how.
Were you JB and unlocked or no?
Did you have installed cydia or just rock maybe? Did you click make my life easier when you first opened up cydia assuming you had cydia installed?

so is my iphone totally inoperable until the new JB comes out?

mac. i never jailbroke it though, didnt have cydia

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
mac. i never jailbroke it though, didnt have cydia

All throughout this thread you have at times made it sound as if your iphone, prior to the upgrade was not jailbroken. Everyone else, apparently, except for me was under the impression that your phone was jailbroken. But now again you are saying your phone was never JB. It's almost impossible to figure out what you did.

If your phone was prior JB you should have known not to upgrade to latest FW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.