Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Update 01/29/2012: 4.0 Signal Bars Version 2.2 is now available in the ModMyI repository in Cydia. It should work on all iPhone Models and all iOS versions 4.0.1+.

Annoyed with the changes to the signal bars Apple introduced in iOS 4.0.1 and anticipating that other people might be as well, I decided to create a Cydia package to return the signal bars to the form they had from iOS 1.0-4.0. I had hoped to be able to make a direct replacement of the signal bar images and avoid Winterboard all together, but Apple has gotten clever with its images, hiding most of the .png images used on the iPhone in a single compressed file called shared.artwork. Unfortunately, the only way around this was to use Winterboard.

So I present to you 4.0 Signal Bars, a tiny theme for Winterboard whose sole function is to fix Apple's lame attempt to make you feel better about your crappy AT&T signal by lengthening your signal bars. Currently, of course, only iPhone 3G users can have a jailbroken 4.0.1, but the package will only grow in usefulness with time.

NB: 4.0 Signal Bars does not revert the formula for signal bar calculation. I don't see any reason to do that, since the new signal bar formula is much better and more honest. All this does is revert a cosmetic change Apple made to make us feel better about our crappy one- or two-bar service by distorting the length of the bars.

Last edited:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I am told that people with the iPhone 4 cannot install 4.0 Signal Bars yet. I don't think this is a problem with the theme, but is simply due to the fact that Winterboard has not yet been updated to work with the iPhone 4. Once the Winterboard is updated, 4.0 Signal Bars should, as far as I know, be compatible.

Zoom7000

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Hey thelatinist, I've just updated to 4.0.1 and jailbroken with JailbreakMe. I've tried installing 4.0 Signal Bars, but it won't install because it gives a dependency error:

Code:
Depends iPhone Firmware <= 4.0

Yet, I am definitely running 4.0.1 (8A306) iPhone 3GS 32Gb.

Any ideas?

THCue

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Do you really need bars lol how about just make it like the old IE did with a swirling globe bars are so overrated as long as I can make a call I never look at this anyways maybe that's just me.:D

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
doesn't install here either, warnings at cydia (new 3gs, 4.0.1). ah, well...
am getting used to seeing 2 small bars (damn u, nyc!)...

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Currently, of course, only iPhone 3G users can have a jailbroken 4.0.1

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You mean my iP4 isn't really jailbroken? There's a fake cydia on the home screen? All of these tweaks I've installed are just figments of my imagination?

Seriously, read around here for 2 seconds. Pathetic.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA

You mean my iP4 isn't really jailbroken? There's a fake cydia on the home screen? All of these tweaks I've installed are just figments of my imagination?

Perhaps you should read...the date that post was made. On July 19 it was indeed impossible to jailbreak the iPhone 4. But thanks for calling me pathetic. It really warmed my heart. The sarcasm was nice, too.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio

Haha, glad you know what the hell you're talking about. Coincidentally, 2 seconds is about all it takes to see the date on forum posts. :rolleyes:

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Since you changed these thelatanist, I was wondering if you could tell mw ehere they are located for iPhone 4 so i can try to make my own custom ones and SSH em on.

Ps, tempusfugit, thelatanist is pro :p

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Since you changed these thelatanist, I was wondering if you could tell mw ehere they are located for iPhone 4 so i can try to make my own custom ones and SSH em on.

The problem is that the icons are no longer accessible, but have been moved as of 4.0 into a massive encrypted image cache file. This speeds loading, but makes it impossible to manually replace the images. The only way it can be done is with a Winterboard theme. But see below...

Isn't there some way we can manually install the theme (ssh) / upload the package on megaupload.

Here's the theme in zip archive. Install Winterboard and then copy the entire 4.0 Signal Bars.theme folder into /var/stash/Themes. Respring and turn it on in Winterboard settings.

Attachments

• 4.0 Signal Bars.theme.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 160

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
I like the new bars better than the old ones, both the images and the method of calculation.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Lmao, after using 4.0.1 for a few days and getting the 4.0 bars back, I can really appreciate why Apple changed them. I guarantee a good number of people actually feel better about the 4.0.1 bars because they are taller but i still like the more symmetrical look of the 4.0 bars better.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Perhaps you should read...the date that post was made. On July 19 it was indeed impossible to jailbreak the iPhone 4. But thanks for calling me pathetic. It really warmed my heart. The sarcasm was nice, too.

Notice he's not man enough to post back and make an apology.
Just what we need here on MacRumors, another person with zero reading skills and childish behavior. :rolleyes:

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hey latinist. Jw: Since it's a winterboard theme, can't you just post the folder here for users to SSH into their library/themes folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.