Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1
jonjames
macrumors regular

syncing iphone with more than one computer

is this possible? i have an iphone and i would like to sync it to my desktop but also have the need to sync it to my laptop when im away from home. is there any way to do this? any help is greatly appreciated
jonjames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:42 PM   #2
triptyx
macrumors member

What in particular are you trying to synch?
triptyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3
headcheese
macrumors regular

I would like to do this too

I have all of my apps and music on a external hard drive so I'd like to be able to add/remove content on my home PC and my work one too. I've looked all over the net, and even tried some of the suggestions, and it never works
headcheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

By logic, you can't "sync" anything with more than one thing. Syncing means mirroring the content of one device with another. Thus, if you synced your iPhone with one computer, than the other computer would have the same content. Therefore, there is no need to sync with more than one computer.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:01 PM   #5
livingonvideo13
macrumors regular

You can do it but it is a major pain to set up but once you have it running it works great. I have set up 3 computers (1 Mac and 2 PCs) that allow me sync music/videos to my iPhone.

HowTo

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/3...computers.html

You can also use this program to transfer media content to and from any iphone.

http://www.xilisoft.com/iphone-transfer.html
livingonvideo13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:05 PM   #6
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheese View Post
I have all of my apps and music on a external hard drive so I'd like to be able to add/remove content on my home PC and my work one too. I've looked all over the net, and even tried some of the suggestions, and it never works
You mentioned that you have content on an external drive. Why don't you just move your iTunes Library onto said external? That's what I do, and it works flawlessly betwixt my iMac and my MacBook Pro. 'Google moving iTunes Library to external drive' and you should get an official Apple document on the procedure (it's not really that hard, even). As long as all your computers are pointed to the iTunes Library on the external drive, everything should be good - I'm not sure if an upper limit exists, but I'm only using two computers with my external at this time.
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:10 PM   #7
headcheese
macrumors regular

See I have my library moved on my home computer but for some reason when I plug the external into my work machine, and try to point it to the same place, it doesn't work?
headcheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:13 PM   #8
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

can't you authorize up to 5 machines with your iTunes account?...what you end up syncing depends on what's in each machine's library
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:16 PM   #9
GTghost
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingonvideo13 View Post
You can do it but it is a major pain to set up but once you have it running it works great. I have set up 3 computers (1 Mac and 2 PCs) that allow me sync music/videos to my iPhone.

HowTo

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2008/03/3...computers.html

You can also use this program to transfer media content to and from any iphone.

http://www.xilisoft.com/iphone-transfer.html
Thats the same method I am using right now, I only use it to sync music from my laptop and pc, works like a charm.
GTghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:45 PM   #10
jonjames
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by triptyx View Post
What in particular are you trying to synch?
just mainly music and videos i guess
jonjames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:14 PM   #11
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheese View Post
See I have my library moved on my home computer but for some reason when I plug the external into my work machine, and try to point it to the same place, it doesn't work?
How did you move your library? I'm making the assumption that this method works on PCs as it does on Macs, but you should first look in Preferences -> Advanced and enter the path to the desired iTunes folder (on the external HDD), then Consolidate your iTunes Library. That last process will copy all your content to the external HDD. Lastly, on your computers, plug in the external HDD, hold down the ALT key, then drill down to the iTunes folder on the external HDD to point that computer's version of iTunes to the iTunes library there.

Not to sound too harsh, but you could've Googled it also. I simply entered "move itunes library to external drive" and it only took 2 seconds, with the Apple doc the first hit in the results.
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone