Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
I got a 512MB stick of ram for my 12" PB 867mhz. Its off brand, but when I installed it the RAM worked fine. Is there anything I should do to 'optomize' the RAM since it is not Apple brand? Repair premisions or anything like that? Any key combo to punch in when the system is starting up? Or should I just be happy I can run 10 apps at once w/o any trouble?!

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
wPod said:
I got a 512MB stick of ram for my 12" PB 867mhz. Its off brand, but when I installed it the RAM worked fine. Is there anything I should do to 'optomize' the RAM since it is not Apple brand? Repair premisions or anything like that? Any key combo to punch in when the system is starting up? Or should I just be happy I can run 10 apps at once w/o any trouble?!

ram is ram big guy. some is higher quality than others. you simply install it and it either works or doesn't. nothing more you can do, if it works, you're good.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
yep, if it works, it works. no optimization necessary...

RAMs from different vendors are practically the same. the only reason some are more expensive than others is due to testing. some places have tighter threashold for what's acceptable and what's not - and those threashold are above and beyond whether the RAM works or not. accordingly, if one vendor has higher standard and discards more RAM as "unacceptable" for their standard (even if the RAM works fine), then RAM from that vendor will be more expensive and of "higher" quality.

let's say you need a score of above 60 for RAM to work. vendor A may say 70+ is acceptable while vendor B may say 90+ is only acceptable. though RAM from both vendors are likely to work, vendor B can claim to have higher quality RAMs.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
totally off topic, but i still can't get over wPod's red apple on the PB. so cool. if i had a non-silver mini, i'd have tried to match the color of the apple on my PB to the mini!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.