Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1
jgmacrum
macrumors member

Using WiFi only on my iPhone 4?

Headed up north to canada for a few days, and would like to avoid any surprises when it comes to my bill. I keep "enable data roaming" off as a matter of course, so that's already done. It looks like if I also disable "enable cellular data" that I should be ok (right?) but to be paranoid is there a way to essentially turn the device into a wifi only device (ie "airplane mode" + wifi)?

It looks like my best bet would be to disable 3G, data roaming & cellular data - if I do those three will there be any way that I could get extra charges while I'm there?
jgmacrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Dataroaming turned off should be enough. Turning off all mobile data is for when you don't want to use data, even though you are in your own country.

You can, by the way, also use WiFi when you have airplane mode turned on.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:55 PM   #3
stridemat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Dataroaming turned off should be enough. Turning off all mobile data is for when you don't want to use data, even though you are in your own country.

You can, by the way, also use WiFi when you have airplane mode turned on.
Yeap, turning on Airplane Mode would stop all data charges for you. However you will not be able to receive any calls or texts.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:56 PM   #4
mikemanblah
macrumors regular

I think thats all you need. And get at&t canada to avoid high costs
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmacrum View Post
Headed up north to canada for a few days, and would like to avoid any surprises when it comes to my bill. I keep "enable data roaming" off as a matter of course, so that's already done. It looks like if I also disable "enable cellular data" that I should be ok (right?) but to be paranoid is there a way to essentially turn the device into a wifi only device (ie "airplane mode" + wifi)?

It looks like my best bet would be to disable 3G, data roaming & cellular data - if I do those three will there be any way that I could get extra charges while I'm there?

You can just put this in Airplane Mode it shuts off all communications
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:08 PM   #6
nrubenstein
macrumors newbie

To clarify: You can put the phone in Airplane Mode and then enable Wifi. All cell calling/data functions are disabled, but you still can have wifi.

This is what I do when I travel and want to be sure.
nrubenstein is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:44 PM   #7
jgmacrum
macrumors member

Ah, I thought that airplane mode turned off wifi as well. That's what I want then, I don't mind not getting calls/texts. Thanks.
jgmacrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Cakester
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmacrum View Post
Ah, I thought that airplane mode turned off wifi as well. That's what I want then, I don't mind not getting calls/texts. Thanks.
Turning on airplane mode does turn off wifi, but you can go back into settings and turn it back on. This way you'll be in Airplane and Wi-Fi mode.
Cakester is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:48 PM   #9
clayj
macrumors 604

So, just to be clear (I am going to Victoria for a couple of days next week):

Airplane Mode ON + WiFi ON = WiFi capability + no phone/SMS capability (which means NO data or phone charges related to roaming)

Basically, Airplane Mode ON + WiFi ON means your iPhone is now essentially an iPod Touch. Correct? I'd rather not have to extract my SIM card and I don't want to have to leave my phone behind when I go to Victoria.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:50 PM   #10
kre62
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayj View Post
So, just to be clear (I am going to Victoria for a couple of days next week):

Airplane Mode ON + WiFi ON = WiFi capability + no phone/SMS capability (which means NO data or phone charges related to roaming)

Basically, Airplane Mode ON + WiFi ON means your iPhone is now essentially an iPod Touch. Correct? I'd rather not have to extract my SIM card and I don't want to have to leave my phone behind when I go to Victoria.
Yep correct
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting