Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neenakctea9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
So far I xfered all my music, photos, movies, podcasts, etc.. to my new comp and it's library is now connected to my new iPhone so I can sync like normal. Now I need to somehow transfer my playlists.

I still have my old comp/old iPhone with these playlists. It's not a big deal if there isn't a quick way to do this as I will just remake all the playlists, but the one I care about most is the purchased playlist. Of course on my new computer's itunes, this purchased playlist is empty. I want to fill this up with all the songs I bought on my old computer, is there a way to do this?

I tried some method of copying the itunes library.xml from my old computer and changing the file paths, as this file seems to contain playlist info. But when I copied the file to my new computer there was no change and my playlists were still gone/empty.

So any ideas?

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
What kind of computers are you running off of and do you only want to transfer the playlists or the actual mp3s you purchased from your old computer to your new computer.

ON A MAC:
in iTunes on your old computer, go into the playlist you speak of, highlight one of the tracks in that playlist: Control and click one on that selected MP3. In the contextual menu that pops up, select: SHOW IN FINDER

A folder will open up with that MP3 in it. That should be the MP3 you want.
Do this to each track if they are all not by the same artist and are not in the same folder as the first MP3 you've done this to.

If you already transferred all the purchased music from old computer to new computer and just want to transfer playlist; Select the playlist you want to transfer. Go to File // Library // Export Playlist

Select a format (I believe default is Unicode Text but that M3u will work as well)

Save to a destination or a flash drive and hit ok

Take the flash drive or harddrive, pop it onto your new computer, double click the exported playlist and it should automatically open itunes and list the contents of that playlist.

Hope any of this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.