Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:04 PM   #1
CaptainRon19
macrumors newbie

A question about Password Hints

Okay, here is my issue. First of all, how do I get my password hint to show up from the screensaver login/password prompt? I have my password and hint set up so that only people close to me will be able to figure it out in case they ever need to use my laptop, however at the moment the hint doesn't even show up.

Also, I'm aware that you can change the text to the login page for user accounts, but is there any way to change the text for the screensaver login prompt? If so, where would I find it in "Library"?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by CaptainRon19; Jul 20, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
CaptainRon19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Laurencia7
macrumors regular

try using a setup in keychain access for the password hint, as for the font, or change of text I would not know.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:59 AM   #3
CaptainRon19
macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what you mean by setting up a password hint in keychain. I've set up a hint already with the login, but it only appears at the main login page, not for the screensaver password prompt.
CaptainRon19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:57 AM   #4
R94N
macrumors 68020

Yeah, that is a pretty bad flaw. I guess they're assuming that if you've already logged in after booting up your computer (at the main login page) you already know the password so you won't need another hint after you stop the screensaver/sleep and have to type your password in again. I can't see any way to make the hint appear for the screensaver/sleep login window. I'm surprised it doesn't exist.

You could search Mroogle to see if there's been any older threads here on this topic. Someone could've posted a solution somewhere.
R94N is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:00 AM   #5
slpdLoad
macrumors 6502a

You can't make it display the hint from the screensaver prompt, but anyone who needs access via the hint can click on "Switch User..." and then get the hint from the normal login window. This will not log out of the active account.
slpdLoad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help