Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
hi all,
Whenever i watch any flash video it almost unwatchable until i let the entire video load, even then it is still very choppy. I already down graded to flash 9, which helped a little but not much. it was fine until i installed leoapard, and i upgraded the ram when i did. I booted off my tiger external and it was still just as bad as leopard is.

1.2ghz ibook G4
1.25gb ram
30gb hdd (15gb free) and on the tiger drive there is 25gb free
safari 4.1 and 5.0
both are pretty much clean installations

Kareshnaka

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Tourian, California
That's weird. I have an emac and flash(10) works like a charm and its specs are sucky. maybe it is your browser, try firefox. are the flash videos hd? maybe it is your graphics card.

Kaji79

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
try a different browser like firefox or camino...For some odd reason some different browsers work well differently on all my macs

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Upgrade your Flash Player to Flash 10.1, you will definitely see an improvement.

You won’t be able to watch youtube in HD by no means but normal quality will be more than fine.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
When i got my "new" eMac about a month ago and tried to watch Youtube i was like WTF? It wasn't until a week later i found that adding "&fmt=5" to the video url and refreshing it made it playable, but with lesser quality. Come to find Downgrading to Flash 8 completely fixed this problem, but again, quality suffers, and if the window is not front-most the video will pause, newer sites wont even load as they "require" Flash player 10. HTML5 Beta still drops frames, though not as badly but it still ruins the experience. After reading another post, someone suggested MacTubes. A desktop app that allows you to search videos as you would on the website, create playlists without the need of an account, and has a video history of what you just played. The best part is you don't need Flash (It uses Quicktime). It also lets you download youtube videos. Its fast, Light weight and it plays in the higher quality Quicktime Player, I highly recommend that you try it. Just remember after installing and running it click the player drop-down menu in the menubar and select Quicktime Player (only have to do this once, will remember setting next time you start it). Also worth noting that adding "&fmt=18" to the video url plays the video in Higher Quality MPEG4, which makes it alot better, but still jumpy. All in all the only way around this is Mactubes as it plays in Quicktime which is native to Apple therefore you dont have these issues.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I would actually recommend Flash Player 9 over 10.

Also, there are a few threads already containing small tricks. For example, what a poster suggested is a good trick - you can set the quality of YouTube videos by modifying the end of web address. Also, YouTube has a mobile site, it's Flash-free (I think). Maybe

Also, try Click-to-Flash and try using Firefox, rather than Safari.

This should certainly run fine:

http://m.youtube.com/

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
I would actually recommend Flash Player 9 over 10.

Also, there are a few threads already containing small tricks. For example, what a poster suggested is a good trick - you can set the quality of YouTube videos by modifying the end of web address. Also, YouTube has a mobile site, it's Flash-free (I think). Maybe

Also, try Click-to-Flash and try using Firefox, rather than Safari.

This should certainly run fine:

http://m.youtube.com/

Though Firefox is a great browser, Camino has the option to block flash built right into its preferences, when selected, it replaces flash content with a glossy f icon, when clicked it allows playback, much like click to flash. Another plus is when adding "&fmt=18" to the url, Camino's playback is better...

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Thank you all for your replies.
I installed firefox and it is much better, flash still of course isnt perfect but better.. and HTML5 on youtube is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.