Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 13, 2004, 01:54 PM   #1
ThatGirl
macrumors regular

Regarding Burning DVDs

Hi, I was wondering if there is any way to "rebuild the desktop" on DVDs, to make more room. I used to be able to do that with my old Macs and floppies.

I tried copying a 4.7 GB home movie onto a 4.7GB DVD. The message said there was not enough room, and that there was only 4.23GB on the DVD. I know some room is taken up by formatting, but I was wondering if there is something else on the DVD, left over from previous tries to copy files to it.

If that is not possible, what can I use to compress the movie? Will it automatically decompress if I want to view it?

Thank you.
ThatGirl is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2004, 02:24 PM   #2
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
The 4.2 GB limit is not just due to formatting. Its the fact that, as with everything, the 4.7GB being stated is assuming 1kB=1000 bytes while 1kb actually equals 1024 bytes. Multiply that 1024 by how ever many GB of capacity you have and suddenly you have less space.

It's the same reason that an 80GB Hard Drive actually only contains 74.5GB worth of space.

As for compression programs, they are out there. You could use some of the pro tools that come with Final Cut Pro, but if you don't have that or don't want to shell out for it, I think there are some freebies for this sort of thing. Hopefully someone else can help with this.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2004, 02:34 PM   #3
ThatGirl
macrumors regular

O.K. Thanks!
ThatGirl is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2004, 04:20 PM   #4
daveL
macrumors 68020

I must be missing something here. DVD video is already compressed as mpeg2. If it's not, it's not a video DVD, it's a data DVD. The only way to compress it to a smaller size would be to recode it at a lower bit rate, using something like ffmpegX (free) or DVD2oneX ($$). If you don't care about being able to play the DVD is a standalone DVD player, you could also reduce the size by transcoding it into mpeg4, aka Divx, format. It gets complicated, but if you do it right you can play it with Quicktime, VLC or mplayer.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 04:22 PM   #5
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

You can fit just over 4.5GB on a DVD, I don't know where it's getting 4.23Gb from :confusd:
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:57 AM   #6
ThatGirl
macrumors regular

I probably did not explain it the right way. I have a home movie that I filmed on a digital cam. I edited it in iMovie. It is 4.7 GB. I wanted to copy it to a DVD, but the error message said "there is not enough room. There is only 4.23GB available".

I wanted to be able to play it on any DVD player, but at this point, I just want to preserve it, because I'm probably going to have to erase my harddrive, (for other reasons on another thread). Even if I have to load it back onto my computer at a later time to turn it into a playable DVD, I'm trying to figure out a way to just save it, for now. I tried using Stuffit, and the copy is also 4.7 GB.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

Thank you.
ThatGirl is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:11 PM   #7
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

You could consider:

Getting an additonal external/internal drive/iPod and backing it up to there.

Buying/downloading the deluxe version of Stuffit which will let you 'span' large files across multiple disks
http://www.stuffit.com/mac/deluxe/index.html

Re-editing it. Prob. not viable but thought I'd mention it.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:24 PM   #8
Veldek
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Veldek Send a message via AIM to Veldek Send a message via MSN to Veldek
You could reencode the movie to make it fit a standard DVD using Minx Transcoder, for example.
Veldek is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:58 PM   #9
ThatGirl
macrumors regular

Thanks! I'll check out these options.
ThatGirl is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2004, 01:23 PM   #10
Solafaa
macrumors 6502a

My 160GB hard drive is only 148.92GB thats why i got a 250GB external hard drive which is really 279.32GB
Solafaa is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers