Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
Hi all :)

There's a bike rack design thing going on in my uni, so I think I should ask fellow Mac Rumours readers about parking your bikes in public places.

So... I'd like to know what elements will make a good rack design, such as the reach height (you don't want to bend over), easy access, security, placement/locations and aesthetics and so on.

I think most of you would be glad if there's a space available, so I'm also thinking on optimising the space to pack bikes efficiently. As an engineering student I'll be worrying about the manufacturing procedures, durability and cost, and some other required specifications and make sure the user gets what he/she wants in the end.

Also, are there any particular bike rack designs that you HATE? Please shout out.

Thanks a lot :)

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Bike Racks

Well. One thing that always bothers me is how difficult it is to use one lock on two bikes, say, if you are with a friend who has no lock. Unless you have a cable lock.

If you could figure out a way to rack the bicycles standing upright, on one tire, that would be awesome too!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Well. One thing that always bothers me is how difficult it is to use one lock on two bikes, say, if you are with a friend who has no lock. Unless you have a cable lock.

If you could figure out a way to rack the bicycles standing upright, on one tire, that would be awesome too!

Not a smart friend.
Have zero faith in cable locks after a friend broke his key off in his cable lock and we had to cut it free.
It was at the end of dinner out side of one of the dinning halls on campus. We took a hack saw and proceeded to cut threw it in under 5 mins with nothing really slowing us down.
People walk by and one person ask and accepted our answer. Hell I want to say one of the campus police walked by and ask us what we were doing. We told him the truth and he walked on.

Either way it took us less than 5 min to cut threw a cable lock.

For a bike rack I am happy as long as I can easily lock my U-Lock to the rack and frame

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
If the bike rack was for a work place or a university, I say you should have to register for a special bike card. The bike rack will be a cage with places to lock your bike from the front/rear, side, and even hang your bike to save more space. You should be able to use multiple kinds of locks, heck, even have multiple lock points using a pivoted steel-frame design. Even more you can have a special cubby usable with your card only. The only people that can get in the cage are the ones who registered for a card because they themselves have a bike.

Obviously this isn't a cheap thing, but it's an idea as more people are riding bikes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.