Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 13, 2004, 06:19 PM   #1
mrzippy
macrumors 6502

iMac G5 (17") screen light reflecting in screen surround

I only noticed this when I used in a darker room, but the top of screen white menu bar reflects in the white screen surround, above and slightly down either side of the screen.

If the screen is black there is no reflection, so it is reflecting from the screen light output, not the backlight.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Neil

Last edited by mrzippy; Nov 13, 2004 at 06:21 PM.
mrzippy is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Elan0204
macrumors 65816

I can see light through the case of the iMac on all 4 sides of the screen, not just the top. I just assumed it was the backlight.

Take another look and see if you have bars all around the screen. The top one does seem a bit brighter than the others on mine.

To learn more about Utada, check out my iMix.
Elan0204 is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2004, 06:34 PM   #3
mrzippy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan0204
I can see light through the case of the iMac on all 4 sides of the screen, not just the top. I just assumed it was the backlight.

Take another look and see if you have bars all around the screen. The top one does seem a bit brighter than the others on mine.
I will have another look, the top bar is bright white normally - which is obviously why it is noticeable, whereas other areas of screen do not normally have bright colours next to them (desktop background pending)

If the screen edges are black ie. at game startup with logos, there is no reflection, therefore it can't be the backlight leaking, as that would still be on.

I just wanted to make sure mine was not faulty, in a bright room I never noticed, now in the bedroom.

Must just me the bright colours reflecting in the plastic surround, they should have really isolated the display more.

Thanks

Neil
mrzippy is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Elan0204
macrumors 65816

You're right, the brightness of the bars does change with a dark background, I just tested that out myself. So the top bar is brighter because of the white menu bar at the top of the screen.

To learn more about Utada, check out my iMix.
Elan0204 is offline   0
Old Nov 13, 2004, 07:52 PM   #5
mklos
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mklos
I can see the same thing on all 4 corners of my G4 iMac. Its nothing to worry about. I believe its just the back lighting for the display.
mklos is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers