Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

225754-jeff_williams.jpg

As noted by AppleInsider, Apple earlier this month promoted Jeff Williams to its ranks of senior executives, upgrading his previous position of Vice President of Operations to a Senior Vice President level.
Jeff Williams is Apple's senior vice president of Operations, reporting to COO Tim Cook. Jeff leads a team of people around the world responsible for end-to-end supply chain management and dedicated to ensuring that Apple products meet the highest standards of quality.
Based on a filing made with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission this past Monday, it appears that Williams may have been promoted to the position on July 7th. The filing also discloses that Williams is the owner of 47,308 shares of Apple common stock, as well as 40,000 shares of fully vested stock options holding a strike price of $46.57 and valid through August 2012.

In addition, Williams has been granted a series of restricted stock grants over the past four years totaling 75,000 shares, although none of those grants have yet become fully vested. All told, Williams' holdings in Apple stock and options are worth over $41 million in today's prices, although not all of those options and stock grants have yet been vested or exercised.

According to Williams' bio on Apple's site, he joined Apple in 1998 as the company's head of worldwide procurement and in 2004 was promoted to the position of Vice President for Operations. Since the launch of the iPhone in 2007, Williams has led worldwide operations for both the iPhone and iPod. Prior to his arrival at Apple, Williams spent 13 years at IBM in a number of capacities.

Article Link: Apple Promotes Jeff Williams to Senior Vice President of Operations

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Who gives a damn about who the Vice President of operations is?
AAPL shareholders.

The guy is part of a team that must successfully execute the business plan. If he helps in this regard, the company will increase shareholder value. Increasing shareholder value is the top responsibility of any publicly trade company.

RTee

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Australia
AAPL shareholders.

The guy is part of a team that must successfully execute the business plan. If he helps in this regard, the company will increase shareholder value. Increasing shareholder value is the top responsibility of any publicly trade company.

Thanks for the lesson in economics, maybe his point was more why is it being posted on a rumours site, boring at best IMO.

jtrenda33

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
AAPL shareholders.

how many shares do you have?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Thanks for the lesson in economics, maybe his point was more why is it being posted on a rumours site, boring at best IMO.
MacRumors reports on actual Apple news as well as rumors. For example, yesterday there were a bunch of posts about their quarterly earnings.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
how many shares do you have?
Shareholders of all levels should care about company performance. If you own the shares, you should care. If you don't, invest elsewhere.

My holdings are none of your business although I will say that the increase in my Apple holdings has paid for everything I've ever purchased from them since I bought the shares years ago.

I consider Apple hardware as a fun little dividend. :D

yeah, but that was just a rumor. :)
Their quarterly results were rumors? That would be news to the SEC.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Too Many Cooks

The creeping in of more management in the upper echelons paves the way for complacency... and thus going the way of too many managers stirring the broth... sort of like having a marketing guy running a tech company...
:(

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's groovy and all, but where's my free bumper for my iPhone 4?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
The creeping in of more management in the upper echelons paves the way for complacency... and thus going the way of too many managers stirring the broth... sort of like having a marketing guy running a tech company...
:(
As a longtime AAPL shareholder, I will point out that Apple Inc. has performed fabulously well since Jobs took the reins for the second time.

While I don't believe that every Fortune 500 company would be better off with a marketing person at the helm, one cannot fault Apple's senior management team for their accomplishments.

If anything, you can ask the current CEO of every other Fortune 500 company, "why doesn't your company perform like Apple?" followed by "and why are we paying you so much?" Steve's annual salary is one dollar. No CEO on this planet is more of a bargain.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
What are stocks?
Partial ownership of a company.

There are opportunities to make money by lending it to people who don't have it. One example is the savings account. Basically, you keep a bunch of money at your bank but you allow the bank to loan it out to other people in your community. They will return the money, plus a little extra for the convenience.

Another example is the government: you can loan money to the government by buying a bond. They will eventually give back your money, plus some more (the interest).

When you buy stock, you are loaning money to a company. You are telling them, "hey, hire some new people, do some research on new products, etc." with the hope that they will take your money, do that, and brings more revenue.

If you find this answer incomplete or inadequate, please visit your local public library and find books on investing.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.