Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Hi,

I’m a Snow Leopard Server Newbie.

I’m currently planning to go to school in Europe and my school restricts downloading torrents/music/videos and other restricted sites.

I would like to buy the new mac mini server to setup in my home in the U.S so that I can connect to the mac mini server from Europe in order to access restricted sites, download music and movies, and then VPN/file share that content back to my school computer.

Does anyone know of any tutorials that could explain how to do this?

Is this idea reasonable? As in, will the new mac mini server support these tasks? Is it fair to say that the connection speed between my U.S home computer and my Europe school computer will be sufficient to transfer files back and forth?

Lastly, I won’t be able to go back home for a while so I will have to be to control the server from my mac book in Europe. Is this possible correct?

I know that these are some basic questions but I appreciate the help in advance. Please correct me on my verbiage if i'm confusion protocols like VPN/Fileserve.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The school might block the ports necessary for VPN (they do at my work), however I doubt they would block SSH and you can "tunnel" over that to access the home server and do screen sharing. I believe you can set up a VPN server with a standard Mac, but it is easier with the server. SSH is easy without the server -- it's a standard program (from the command line). Search for "VNC over SSH" to see how. You don't really need Snow Leopard Server at all. There are other solutions like Yazsoft's Sharetool which will allow remote sharing and are pretty trivial to set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.