Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Interesting bit of news here in the UK this morning. They've found evidence of a second (wooden) henge at Stonehenge.

What I think is really interesting about this is that current thoughts about Neolithic monuments are all to do with stone being the domain of the ancestors and wood the domain of the living. It's thought that people would form processions between the two etc etc.

The fly in the ointment is that places like Avebury have associated wooden henges but Stonehenge (on it's own) appeared to be at odds with all this. Well, now they've found a wooden henge there as well.

(Mind you someone did suggest it might be the long lost visitors centre!;))

mcnicks

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Have they checked that they are not just props left by the Doctor Who production team?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Wasn't this already known? My (somewhat) fuzzy memory seems to recall that Time Team were there for 6 summers and found this, along with a ceremonial route, evidence of many, many structures (wooden and stone) and lots and lots of human remains in the immediate area surrounding Stonehenge.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Have they checked that they are not just props left by the Doctor Who production team?

:D

Wasn't this already known? My (somewhat) fuzzy memory seems to recall that Time Team were there for 6 summers and found this, along with a ceremonial route, evidence of many, many structures (wooden and stone) and lots and lots of human remains in the immediate area surrounding Stonehenge.

You must concentrate, try to remember. It may just completely unearth it all back into existence!

Oh I'm sorry, wrong meeting.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
UK

Ha ha - very good. At least it wasn't the Spinal Tap one...

As for Time Team - did they find an actual full henge? (Well all the post holes)? I can't remember either... (I thought it was the local work camp and an explanation of the ritual landscape?)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Oh I'm sorry, wrong meeting.

Wrong meeting? errr… how many do you actually go to??? :eek: ;)

As for Time Team - did they find an actual full henge? (Well all the post holes)? I can't remember either... (I thought it was the local work camp and an explanation of the ritual landscape?)

I thought they found evidence of the post holes in a circle, and outside of that circle they found human remains, I do remember the ceremonial walkway between the sites, and the theory that they'd built a dock on the nearby river etc.

But like I said it's all rather fuzzy though. *strokes chin*

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Has it ever been discovered what stonehenge was actually for?

Ask an Archaeoastronomist... :]

When a group of people begin to grow plants (in order to have food for the group to survive), those people then need a good "calendar app".

Stonehedge is hardly unique in this regard. Similar "calendar apps" have been found around the world, as built by various ancient cultures. For example: in Ohio (U.S.), another "Woodhenge" is currently being unearthed and examined by archaeologists, which was built by the Hopewell (circa A.D. 1 to 900) culture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.