Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Little Snitch threw up this odd request:

sysprefbbc.jpg

Why on earth would Sys Pref want to connect to the BBC?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The Reverse DNS shows a different web site than the BBC's site. Maybe something is masquerading. A process ID is also listed. What does it match in Activity Monitor?

The URL given is, news.bbc.co.uk.edgesuite.net
The part I've highlighted in red is the real web site. The rest is just trying to fool you into thinking it's BBC. This is a common scamming/phishing technique that will use bank site URLs as part of a URL.

The discussion at this page indicates that this is likely ad related. If I had to guess, it may be iTunes or Front Row related, one of those may be doing something Network related and trying to change something.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Rss feeds

My simple guess is that it is updatingi RSS feeds for the apple news RSS screensaver. Nothing evil happening here.

It is always interesting watching Little Snitch intercept apps talking to websites.

I think firefox takes the lead in my latest observations.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Edgesuite is a caching service just like Akamai. Apple and many others use it. I'm guessing it's an RSS feed as stated above, or you have an additional preference pane. Check that PID out and see what it is.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I used little snitch for a bit until I decided I was tired of looking up threats that didn't exist. I now comfort myself in the fact zero time is wasted there, I have incremental total backups daily, practice sound password protocols, and the odds of a security breach using my Mac is so close to zero that it can be considered zero.
Save part of your life and remove Snitch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.