Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1
ulbador
macrumors 68000

Question about a new SplitView Application

When you create a new Split-View Application in XCode, I am trying to get a handle on something.

I am completely not understanding a bit in the DetailViewController.h/.m.

Of course in the .h file, it has the expected:

@interface DetailViewController : UIViewController ......

But in the .m file it also has:

@interface DetailViewController ()

and then another method and property declaration. I have never seen code like this in the .m file.

I can't get my brain around it...
ulbador is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2
robbieduncan

It's an anonymous category allowing for a truly private interface to be added. Basically it allows that property and method to exist and be visible to all methods in the class but not visible outside the class as they are not part of the public .h file.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:00 PM   #3
ulbador
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
It's an anonymous category allowing for a truly private interface to be added. Basically it allows that property and method to exist and be visible to all methods in the class but not visible outside the class as they are not part of the public .h file.
Ahh, that makes total sense! I suppose something like this would be required since objective C seems to lack the ability to make private methods (in the traditional sense)

Thanks!
ulbador is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming