Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Do you guys think the iPhone 5 will be redesigned to alleviate any worry? This would effectively concede defeat in hindsight. Or do you think they will look the same but coated or fixed somehow? Or maybe even stay the same just to make some sort of point that thats how it is and it was never broken?

db2431

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Do you guys think the iPhone 5 will be redesigned to alleviate any worry? This would effectively concede defeat in hindsight. Or do you think they will look the same but coated or fixed somehow? Or maybe even stay the same just to make some sort of point that thats how it is and it was never broken?

Yes, Im sure apple plan to leave the same design and go through all this Antenna hassle for the iphone 5 launch.

zacharace

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Bexley, OH, USA

We have ~11 months more time to speculate, but my early vote is for the same design but with a coating over the antenna casing. Or maybe a Bumper included standard :rolleyes:

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I think so but not because of the antenna. The only phone that didn't get changed was the 3GS and that's because it was an upgrade of the previous version, they shared the same name.

I doubt they'll have a 4S, it'll probably be iPhone 5 and look different.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I think so but not because of the antenna. The only phone that didn't get changed was the 3GS and that's because it was an upgrade of the previous version, they shared the same name.

I doubt they'll have a 4S, it'll probably be iPhone 5 and look different.

Do you think they will go as far as doing away with the external antenna and put it back inside? lol

Ninjasrule

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Do you think they will go as far as doing away with the external antenna and put it back inside? lol

I hope so. It would be both bad design and intent to leave it be. I don't think they're that callous. Apple is not good with bad PR. Watching them do the Q&A was painfully awkward. You could slice the tension in the room with a knife.

They like to make calculated careful decisions. I think we'll see a revised version where it's just as thin + dimensions but the external antenna will be moved up to the top where people don't hold it or to the inside. I think they'll want to get back to people oooh and awwing over the phone instead of complaing about the quality of the design.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
They are going to make a phone without an antenna at all just to stick it to us for whining so much.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Well i think the next iPhone will actually be the "4G" iPhone. It'll be LTE most likely (Verizon rumours).

I think they will just "cover" the trouble spot with coating so when you touch it, it won't actually be touching the antenna.

With all that being said, i have a feeling there will be a newly designed, "bigger" iPhone next year. With a larger screen. Afterall, it's a multimedia phone and a bigger screen would be a HUGE asset!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Going by Steve's level of arrogance I would say they leave the same design and make it seem like it was never broken. They might add some kind of clear coating over the antenna though so there won't be direct contact.

quotison

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
This is so silly. You do realize a company can stand by their product and attempt to improve it at the same time? That's how technology works. Apple has never argued the reception is flawless, just that iPhone 4's antenna issue is not a major one. I don't see why they wouldn't attempt to improve it in future models.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
They are going to make a phone without an antenna at all just to stick it to us for whining so much.

What if JULY 2011 rolls around and there is no iPhone release! Like Jobs got butthurt and decided to taketh away lol.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Jobs already admitted they screwed up. A recall and redesign of the current phone is simply impossible without ruining Apple but this will be changed for the next revision/model.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I thought there was already a leaked photo of the iPhone 5 that corrects the antenna issue.

Wait, I just found it.

4764273405_396564c798.jpg

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
I would bet that the next phone will be redesigned and tested more than the previous ones. I don't know how they let a phone get out with that many problems. :rolleyes:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
They will probably do a similar design but one that won't fluctuate so much when held, then they'll tout how they figured out a solution that all phones have, and that there's is the first and best solution to it. You know how they like to spin things.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Interesting thought: Using an iphone as a mouse with the camera as the mouse sensor?

double post

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
If all it takes is a simple coating on the antenna, then I don't think Apple will change the design. Or, they could blow this antenna thing way out of proportion and announce a new type of antenna technology. Putting stainless steel to the front and back plate. LOL... Jobs: "Now the whole damn phone is an antenna!! Your hands are NOT big enough to cover the entire phone!"

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

They will definitely fix it. They'll come up with some other new amazing reason why the new design is so much better and it had nothing to do with the reception problem. I'd be surprised if we don't see at least a modification by the time it goes to Verizon or T-Mobile.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
I think apple may do a redesign as well. I don't see them recirculating the wrap around antenna design which has caused such an uproar. And I don't understand why they didn't just separate the antennas so that they are only on the left and right sides of the phone instead of being so close to each other that they are separated by a black line as thin as a fine tip sharpie.

ddavid

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
What they'll do is have a phone that requires you to hold it in a certain spot in order to tune the antenna, that way the human body can be part of the reception and all those people who insist on holding "the spot" in order to drop calls can now be useful.

Basically the new iPhone 5 slogan would be "naked or not at all!"

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Unless they find some way to fix the iPhone 4 with some coating or something like that in after the 31st of september, they will change something to the iPhone 5.

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2010
Just a crazy thought, but what if they keep the antenna, but instead, they wrap it around internally. Then they could just have a plain stainless steal band wrapping around, making it look like it does now.

Other than that, I would just assume better specs.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
We had the same iPhone look for 3 generations roughly (with 2 generations having the exact body).

Apple probably wants to keep costs down, so they might repeat the design, but they may mess with the location of the weakspots and move them where a hand will least likely interfere with them.

Steve is stubborn, so he'll probably keep the look the same. The idea of just coating the antenna will probably be the best. He'll of course say they decided that the screen wasn't the only thing that needed to say pretty, so they coated the entire phone with it to keep it from getting scratches (of course only after mentioning some stats of course and stressing some adjectives and adverbs).

101AirAssault

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Why does it need to be redesigned? My phone works great, so does the majority of 4's.

The real question should be will those that don't like the phone step off the whine train and change their phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.