Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1
klover
macrumors 6502a

Review: Monoprice $5 Ipad Case (Update Aug.9, some colors back in stock)

Here’s a quick review of a cheap Monoprice case for the Ipad.

I already have a Power Support screen protector on my Ipad but wanted something that would protect the back and sides (perhaps even adding a bit of grip for reading). I found quite a few covers (Griffen, Belkin, etc.) but didn’t want to spend $20-$30. So, I decided to order a couple Monoprice cases and, at $5.22 each, figured I had little to lose.

I ordered a clear case and a glossy black version and I’m very impressed by both.

PROS:
+ Inexpensive.

+ Perfect fit. The edges wrap around the Ipad and cover a few millimeters of glass (overlapping my screen protector) and protect all exposed aluminum and the rubber seal. Back of Ipad cover is properly tapered and wraps around the back perfectly. Case doesn’t slide around, edges sit firmly around glass, etc.

+ No odor. Some of the cheaper cases tend to have a very strong plastic smell. These have none.

+ Perfect port alignment. All openings are well sized and accurately-placed. Power button and volume rocker are completely covered but the plastic does not prohibit use.

+ Very nice texture. Slightly glossy but not sticky. Clear model is perfectly transparent.

CONS:

- Pretty basic look, not very “sexy”.

- Port openings, while accurate, are not precision cut (you may find a little tab of plastic hanging off that you can remove).

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by klover; Aug 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Chris Rogers
macrumors 6502a

How much for shipping?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:48 PM   #3
klover
macrumors 6502a

Shipping for 2 cases was $5 to Canada. I ordered a couple mini display port-to-HDMI adapters as well so my overall shipping was higher. I usually do fairly large monoprice orders to make the shipping costs worthwhile.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:51 PM   #4
JTravers
macrumors regular

Would you mind posting some pics of the glossy black case? I'm trying to decide between the black and the smoke.

Thanks!
JTravers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 08:08 PM   #5
MaxPower49
macrumors 6502a

Looks nicer than you would expect for $5. I might have to pick one of those up. I love monoprice.
MaxPower49 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:56 PM   #6
vivarey
macrumors member

Thanks for the review. I'm a fan of Monoprice. It looks like the power and volume rocker is covered by plastic -- how difficult is it to press those buttons?
vivarey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:59 PM   #7
gigaguy
macrumors 6502a

I got some of these a while back, buttons work fine. They are as nice as the pricey $30-50 name brand ones imo.
I like the smoke better than the clear, smoke is darker but actually clearer, less opaque, than the clear one, which is frostier. Hmm, the posters picture of the clear one looks clearer than the clear i got. I'll have to recheck, I mostly used the smoke one.

Best case deal I have found, for a tup plastic one.
gigaguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:55 PM   #8
vivarey
macrumors member

Thanks guys, I ordered the Smoke color. I was about to buy the $50 Belkin case, so not much to lose if I don't like this one.
vivarey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:09 PM   #9
OriginalNerd
macrumors newbie

Considering they are $5 I bought the clear and the smoke. Awesome deal. Thanks for the heads up. I ordered it last night and they already shipped it today. Love monoprice.
OriginalNerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:10 PM   #10
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivarey View Post
Thanks for the review. I'm a fan of Monoprice. It looks like the power and volume rocker is covered by plastic -- how difficult is it to press those buttons?
Zoom in a lot on the top of the second picture. You'll see there is an opening so they are not covered. Of course I could be wrong.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:40 PM   #11
gigaguy
macrumors 6502a

Yes I had a belkin grip vue (orig $50) I got in an ipad deal and resold, very little difference except for an ugly belkin logo on it.. people are crazy! to pay more than $20 or any ipad plastic case.

the vol buttons are exposed on these. I bought 4 of these about a month ago.
My clear one looks frosty so maybe they changed formula, I would have preferred a crystal clear. smoke is clearer as I said. oh I see they are out of clear and black.

but you can't lose with these. and you might as well buy some cables too, I did.

Last edited by gigaguy; Jul 23, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:22 AM   #12
hoffmant
macrumors member

Great to see this positive review. I needed a car charger and threw a couple of these into my order on a whim. For $5, I was hoping they'd be ok. I'm glad you like them and can't wait to get them now.

Thanks!
hoffmant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:26 AM   #13
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Thanks for the review, it looks like a nice case and you can't complain about the price
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:02 PM   #14
i-Want-Apples
macrumors regular

Thanks for posting the review. I just got my iPad and I'm in the process of trying to decide what I want for a case(s) ( I never thought it would be so hard!) and I wasn't even aware of these. I'm definitely going to order one (or maybe more, considering the price) because it seems silly to pay so much more for other cases.

Has anyone tried the silicone cases from Monoprice? I'm kind of interested in the ones with the circle and/or puzzle pattern but they dont' have any pictures and I'm just curious what they look like.

Also, has anyone ordered the green yet? I kind of want to get all three colors, clear and black (so I'm covered for all situations ) but they show the blue one under the green item and I was just curious what the green looked like.

Thanks again!
i-Want-Apples is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:59 PM   #15
klover
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
Yes I had a belkin grip vue (orig $50) I got in an ipad deal and resold, very little difference except for an ugly belkin logo on it.. people are crazy! to pay more than $20 or any ipad plastic case.

the vol buttons are exposed on these. I bought 4 of these about a month ago.
My clear one looks frosty so maybe they changed formula, I would have preferred a crystal clear. smoke is clearer as I said. oh I see they are out of clear and black.

but you can't lose with these. and you might as well buy some cables too, I did.
The volume rocker and power switch are covered on mine.
http://yfrog.com/07img00184201007262105j

Last edited by klover; Jul 26, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:01 PM   #16
slipper
macrumors 65816

For $5 you do not get sexy... but nice case!
slipper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:41 PM   #17
gigaguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmant View Post
Great to see this positive review. I needed a car charger and threw a couple of these into my order on a whim. For $5, I was hoping they'd be ok. I'm glad you like them and can't wait to get them now.

Thanks!
Not sure what charger you needed, but I don't think they sell a true full power charger for the ipad, just the slower ipod designed ones.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:43 PM   #18
prot0type
macrumors regular

Not really interested in the case, but I will say that monoprice.com is definitely one of the best online sites to shop from.

From my past experiences, the price and quality of their products as well as their customer service are excellent.
prot0type is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:56 PM   #19
robby818
macrumors 6502a

Got two in the mail yesterday. I like them. They fit well and have a nice feel. Better than grippy silicone, which I have avoided because of the feel. I will switch between this and my macally case. I imagine the glossy back will dull over time but for this price there is nothing to complain about. Quite a deal.
robby818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:15 PM   #20
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

I got one the other day and I am quite pleased for $5. I have the Apple case (which I love) but for 5 bucks, this is a great deal.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:57 PM   #21
doodude
macrumors regular

Talking

Thanks for the review...

Speaking of power chargers & such, (previously posted above), does anyone have a favorite accessories web site with good deals for good products?
doodude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:51 AM   #22
Zonra
macrumors newbie

Nice price, hope it works will.
Zonra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:25 PM   #23
OriginalNerd
macrumors newbie

Just received my shipment and I have to say that I am completely impressed. Very nice case. The openings are cut perfectly and it fits just right. This does not feel like a $5 case but a much more expensive one. I am extremely happy with this purchase.

Thanks again for the heads up on this.
OriginalNerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:30 PM   #24
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

Can you post pictures of the smoke color case when you have a chance?
NeuralControl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:16 PM   #25
aznkrnboi9
macrumors newbie

Good

Hey guys. Just got my pink mono price case. It is actually a perfect fit and have that nice glossy feel to it. I like it.
aznkrnboi9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories