Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
I have a Mac Mini in the living room with Plex for movies and hulu desktop and netflix. I love it.

I would like to be able to use it in the bedroom.
At the very least I want to be able to access my movies and music.
Hulu Desktop and Netflix would be a plus.

A few options I am looking at are 36' HDMI & Audio Cable, Xbox 360, iPod Touch (current model), other (?).

The movies and music on a FW800 drive connected to the Mini. Most are MKV, some are TS folders, some are various .MOV & .AVI type files. Converting isn't a huge issue.

darkgroove

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
As far as cost, it is probably the most expensive solution. No doubt about it.

You could run cables (and I didn't know how close your other TV was to the mini) and if you are close enough you could use a bluetooth mouse/keyboard which would hopefully stay paired. You would also need an audio splitter (optical audio splitter if you have surround). But yes, the screen sharing would work.

The only downside that I can see is that if you are playing HD content, you might get dropped frames because it is essentially displaying two screens now instead of one. But that would probably only happen with some 1080p content, and maybe not at all.

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
As far as cost, it is probably the most expensive solution. No doubt about it...

If i were to get a second mini, i would just set it up the same way with plex, just have it read the drive over wifi.

it would take 36 feet of HDMI wire and audio wire. unless I payed $30 more to get the audio into the HDMI cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.