Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onne2slick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
It's only been a month&half with my MBP 13". Coconut battery claims my MBP is 3 months old now (obviously manufactured 2 months prior to my purchase). Currently I have 8 cycles. 2 calibrations (one on first day, and one yesterday). It went from 98%-97%. Obviously this isn't a big jump, and I know i'm just being paranoid.

Please don't tell me to get over it, or tell me it's fine. Please only reply if you have a solution to my problem.

I don't understand how people on the forum says after calibration your maximum battery capacity should go up, and it refreshes the system or something.

9sfdwo.png

It nearly dropped by a 100... What the hell? How do I make it go up? It's only a month old !! Shouldn't it be at 100% or atleast 99%? Some people on this forum claim that they have over 100%+ after MONTHS of usage...

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That is perfectly normal, the health (% of original battery capacity) will jump around. I had 93% health ones after two/three months of usage, now I have 99% after 111 cycles.

I repeat: IT IS NORMAL.

onne2slick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
That is perfectly normal, the health (% of original battery capacity) will jump around. I had 93% health ones after two/three months of usage, now I have 99% after 111 cycles.

I repeat: IT IS NORMAL.

I understand that it is normal. But unfortunately, knowing the type of person I am, that just won't cut it for me. It's literally like a competition for myself to get it to 100% + It itches me lol. I need a solution.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It itches me lol. I need a solution.

Nothing to laugh about. Use it, calibrate the battery from time to time and be patient.

Or return the Mac and get another one.

**** off, so annoying..
i'm on this forum for a reason

Instantly Bannable Offenses

Insults.
Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people. You may dispute somebody's opinion but not attack/flame the person who stated it. There are a lot of other non-direct-personal insults that won't necessary get you banned instantly, but depending on the context/nature may lead to post editing, post deletion, warnings, or time-outs. They include telling people to shut up and being extremely or repeatedly rude or sarcastic. Bottom line -- don't try to tick off others and don't make discussions unnecessarily personal. If somebody else insults you, report their post; their post does not give you a license to break the rules by returning their insults. Although we do not read Private Messages sent between forum members, the rules for appropriate and inappropriate content apply to them as well.​

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I understand that it is normal. But unfortunately, knowing the type of person I am, that just won't cut it for me. It's literally like a competition for myself to get it to 100% + It itches me lol. I need a solution.

If you NEED a solution, but don't mind paying, Apple may allow you to replace the battery if you pay $129 for a new battery. But even then, there are no guarantees that it will be at the full capacity of 5770mAh.

elleana

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009

See a shrink.

Shirotai

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2010
Japan
It's fine.

My macbook is 20 months old and has 72 battery loadcycles. In my experience, the battery health fluctuates between 97% and about 102%.

My suggestion is to wait until you have more data. You seem to have done plenty of research about monitoring and caring for your computer's battery, so right now there's no need for alarm.

I'll be interested to hear about it in a couple of weeks, if possible.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
I've had my MBP for 2 weeks. My battery jumps around a lot! Not to long ago it was at 93%, then it was at 98%, then 96%, etc, etc. As long as it's in that range I'm fine with it.

I've been reading these forums about fluctuating battery capacity for a while, and I'm comfortable with my battery bouncing around in the high 90s. :) Plus, I hear it takes a while for the battery to stabilize.

elleana

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
Sometimes too much knowledge can be a bad thing. If you didn't keep staring at coconut battery (or whatever monitoring program you use) you would never be able to tell.

onne2slick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
I've had my MBP for 2 weeks. My battery jumps around a lot! Not to long ago it was at 93%, then it was at 98%, then 96%, etc, etc. As long as it's in that range I'm fine with it.

I've been reading these forums about fluctuating battery capacity for a while, and I'm comfortable with my battery bouncing around in the high 90s. :) Plus, I hear it takes a while for the battery to stabilize.

Well that comforts me a little. I didn't know it takes a while for the battery to get use to everything. I hope that is so.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
Sometimes too much knowledge can be a bad thing. If you didn't keep staring at coconut battery (or whatever monitoring program you use) you would never be able to tell.
Very true. Regardless of the capacity, the 13" MBP has to have the most impressive battery life that I've come across in a notebook. Looove it! :eek:

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Well that comforts me a little. I didn't know it takes a while for the battery to get use to everything. I hope that is so.

Just sit back and enjoy the finer things in life.

3% in battery life isn't worth the stress or time that your using.

mansanas

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
It's only been a month&half with my MBP 13". Coconut battery claims my MBP is 3 months old now (obviously manufactured 2 months prior to my purchase). Currently I have 8 cycles. 2 calibrations (one on first day, and one yesterday). It went from 98%-97%. Obviously this isn't a big jump, and I know i'm just being paranoid.

Please don't tell me to get over it, or tell me it's fine. Please only reply if you have a solution to my problem.

I don't understand how people on the forum says after calibration your maximum battery capacity should go up, and it refreshes the system or something.

9sfdwo.png

It nearly dropped by a 100... What the hell? How do I make it go up? It's only a month old !! Shouldn't it be at 100% or atleast 99%? Some people on this forum claim that they have over 100%+ after MONTHS of usage...

you dont wanna hear it, but the truth is, there is NOTHING you can do!
the batter capacity will FLUCTUATE BY IT SELF. it will go up again, just chill and enjoy. im as OCD as you i click on coconut battery every hour LITERALLY!

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
the thread is pointless if OP doesn't listen to reason

nothing can be done if there's nothing wrong

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
See a shrink.

+1 Mine is at 96% (according to coconutbattery) with 105 cycles. Go to Apple. I did, because I, too was concerned. They used their own (more accurate than coconutbattery or istat) battery testing software to test my battery, and it was well within an acceptable range.

Just be happy that it charges to 100%.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Sry if this is threadjacking but I have 591 cycles and 98% should I recalibrate?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-23 at 10.19.36 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-23 at 10.19.36 AM.png
    51 KB · Views: 51

blunderboy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Apple batteries will often not go back up to 100% unless you discharge it more than 94%. For example, my computer's battery says that it's at 98%—I had it at a 100% charge, but when I put the computer to sleep to go back home from an outing, the battery was discharged by 2%. Once I operate the computer on battery again and let it go past 94%, I'll be able to charge it back up to 100%.

iambasil

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
London, UK
I'm not sure I trust coconut battery or what the mac says about batteries.

I have a 4 yr old macbook with a 3yr old battery (>800 cycles), and cocounut tells me I have more capacity now then when the battery was new:

PS how do you guys embed pictures? Would I need to upload it to a website first and link to it?
PPS It still does last a long time! I regularly discharge and fully charge.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-06 at 10.51.42.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-06 at 10.51.42.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 52

demonsavatar

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I booted up my MBP yesterday for the first time. Coconut battery started at 97%. Half-way through the calibration battery run-down it went up to 99%. Near the end of the calibration it was at 98%. Right now it shows 98% also. I wouldn't worry about these numbers for at least a few weeks, when they settle down a bit.

I was annoyed at first too but then I did a search for "battery capacity" on Mroogle and saw that it is ALL over the place for some people for the first few weeks.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Just like iambasil, I have more capacity than my original capacity.
Current capacity:5854 mAh
Original capacity: 5770 mAh

What gives? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.