Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After its iPhone 4 press conference last week, Apple posted a new smartphone antenna performance page on its site highlighting how several other smartphones experience similar decreases of signal bars to that of the iPhone 4. The page initially featured phones from Research in Motion, HTC, and Samsung, as well as the iPhone 3GS. Earlier this week, Apple added the Nokia N97 mini to the page after that company publicly responded to Apple's claims of antenna issues with other smartphones.

Not content to stop there, Apple has posted yet another smartphone signal attenuation video to its feature page and YouTube site, this time targeting Motorola's just-released Droid X. The video shows the Droid X dropping from three signal bars to zero when gripped in the hand in a manner similar to the "death grip" frequently cited as inducing the issue on the iPhone 4.

The featuring of the Droid X is significant, as the device has been seen as the latest strong competitor for the iPhone. The Android-based phone has seen strong initial sales, with Motorola and Verizon struggling to keep up with demand. Apple is no doubt targeting the Droid X as it seeks to bolster its claims that the vast majority of smartphones, including many of the most popular ones, suffer from the same issue as the iPhone 4.

Article Link: Apple Takes on Droid X With Latest Smartphone Antenna Video

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
What is Apple trying to show? The iPhone 4 has the same bad signal issues other phones have? This is not a typical Apple move -- they usually showcase the positives of their own products.

Don't get me wrong; I love my iPhone 4. I just want Apple to move on and keep highlighting the positives.

-Aaron-

ihaveNFC

Mar 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
I wonder if Motorola knew about this all along and will offer bumpers, too. Then it can be an all-out-battle of who can offer prettier color bumpers first.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
So if you hold a phone like a retard/grip it tightly (very unnatural) it loses a few bars, and keeps the call. Place a metal object to bridge the lower left side of an iPhone 4, or touch it lightly with your finger, or even holding iPhone 4 normaly drops the call, and displays "Searching":confused:

Can someone explain how those are the same?:confused::confused:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Grasping at straws. Do they honestly think they are fooling anyone? And look at the way they have to hold the phone to make it go down. Talk about DEATH grip. I'm surprised the plastic casing didn't crack.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Well, I tried to replicate the antenna issue with various coworker's phones, and not a single one dropped bars or data rate. Yet, my iPhone 4 dropped data to a complete standstill. Apple must be standing at the edge of an elevator when testing these other phones. What a complete fable.

MrPinkBlackrose

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Death Star
Okay!

We get it already. You can choke the bars out of quite a few phones. Just let it go. iPhone sales are still strong...you would think they would leave this alone.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
We can't fix it so we'll attack our competitors.

Apple continues their pettiness--I think maybe it's time for Jobs to leave.

Apple is doing this because of the huge threat of Android.

Android is eating Apple's lunch in the smart phone market and soon the tablet market.

When you are scared and desperate you take desperate measures--just what this is.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Ugh apple really are scraping the bottom of the barrel. Who on earth at apple PR thought this was a good idea :confused:. When you've got to dedicate time and money to advertise that other phones are just as poor* as your "brilliant engineering" that "changes everything again" you've got substantial problems.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
this is getting to be childish. why don't you focus on fixing your own problems apple and how about actually releasing the white iphone? that'd be great mkky thks bye

EstrlM3

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
Grasping at straws. Do they honestly think they are fooling anyone? And look at the way they have to hold the phone to make it go down. Talk about DEATH grip. I'm surprised the plastic casing didn't crack.

They are in fact fooling the mass majority of consumers. ;)

imnow

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Apple is trying to tell people like you the simple facts by demonstration. Chill out.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
So if you hold a phone like a retard/grip it tightly (very unnatural) it loses a few bars, and keeps the call. Place a metal object to bridge the lower left side of an iPhone 4, or touch it lightly with your finger, or even holding iPhone 4 normaly drops the call, and displays "Searching":confused:

Can someone explain how those are the same?:confused::confused:

Never drops calls on mine, do you own both style phones that you have first hand knowledge?

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
What the hell, another video bashing other phones, I've been very unimpressed with Apple lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.