Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:02 PM   #1
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

MCAT/GRE and the iPad

I was curious to know if anyone in the forums has tried using his or her iPad in preparation for graduate school entrance exams.
Many publishers have moved their materials to eBooks and PDF files. Some well known companies even bundle audio tracks in the packages as a study aid.

I don't have an iPad, but I have been torn between enjoying the current model for the next 9-10 months or waiting it out for the 2nd generation.

I have numerous science eBooks and textbooks in PDF form as well as some MCAT prep material. It seems like it would be easier to read and annotate on the iPad compared to a MBP.

If you have used your iPad as a tool in studying, what has the experience been like? Do you find it better, worse, or on par with using a desktop or notebook? (I'm referring to those individuals who have PDFs and documents as opposed to paperback versions of the materials.)
NeuralControl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Cambot
macrumors regular

I'd be interested in a Kaplan NCLEX study guide but don't think they're out there on iPad yet. I mostly just use it to check email, grades, calendar items rather than taking notes in class. I'm old fashioned and hand write and retype my notes.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:50 PM   #3
painholic
macrumors member

I study GRE on my iPad and my experiences have been stellar.
I love that I don't have to deal with thick and heavy books anymore
One of the best feature is that it allows you to switch back and forth between questions and answers. Just touch the number and it will automatically show the answer to that number and when you click it again, it will come back to the question. Very nice feature
And my gre book only coated 10bucks! I think it cost like 20 when I buy the paper version.
Only drawback would be the reading portion of verbal. I don't know why the publishers made like this but the reading portion seems like they are made of PDF files. So you can't highlight and it's a bit hard to read since the font is too small. You can't change the font of your reading portion either.
Hope that helps.
I wish iBooks store gets these education books because iBooks is wayyyyy better than Kindle app. The only reason I use kindle is because it's got most of the books I need but ibooks never have books I need.
painholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:57 PM   #4
xMastemah
Banned

I have some MCAT study material on my iPad. Love it for easy-going studying. Though I usually break out the books for serious, gritty studying.
xMastemah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:37 PM   #5
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

What materials do you guys load on your iPad? Is it software or just PDFs? Does the iBooks store offer good materials?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:50 PM   #6
xMastemah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralControl View Post
What materials do you guys load on your iPad? Is it software or just PDFs? Does the iBooks store offer good materials?
Decent...a lot of it kinda sucks though. Found some PDFs on the web that serve me better. Everybody's different, though.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:52 PM   #7
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

Since the new update of iBooks, have you loaded the PDFs in that app, or do you use something like Good Reader?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:57 PM   #8
xMastemah
Banned

PDF Reader Pro.

EDIT: Nervous? :P
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:07 AM   #9
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

Are you asking if I'm nervous about the MCATs? Definitely. Fortunately, I have a year before I will take them. I'm going to begin studying in a few weeks. I need to finish my summer classes and then I'll start to focus.

Are you taking yours soon?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:14 AM   #10
xMastemah
Banned

Quote:
Are you asking if I'm nervous about the MCATs? Definitely. Fortunately, I have a year before I will take them. I'm going to begin studying in a few weeks. I need to finish my summer classes and then I'll start to focus.

Are you taking yours soon?
Probably another 2 years before I take my first one. Haha, it helps me make sure I retain the information from my Bio. courses.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:43 AM   #11
DrRossMCAT
macrumors newbie

Dr. Ross MCAT

Quote:
MCAT prep material
We are curently giving free demonstrations for our MCAT and DAT courses. Sign up here:

drrossmcat.yolasite.com/

Once you speak "the MCAT language", you'll be able to study on your own for many, many productive hours. With our tons of free material, analysis guides, and tracking sheets, you'll feel very comfortable and be able to make lots of progress.

Our sessions are packed full of strategies and demonstrations of techniques. At the start of each session, we'll give you a packet full of examples and guides; then we'll spend the time going through the material together. Of course, there's always room for questions from you.

Dr. Ross MCAT is the only company with a Goal Score Guarantee. Find out more by e-mailing DrRossMCAT@yahoo.com
DrRossMCAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:03 PM   #12
DrRossMCAT2013
macrumors newbie

Dr. Ross MCAT on iPad

We are curently giving free demonstrations for our MCAT and DAT courses. Sign up here:

DrRossMCAT.com

Once you speak "the MCAT language", you'll be able to study on your own for many, many productive hours. With our tons of free material, analysis guides, and tracking sheets, you'll feel very comfortable and be able to make lots of progress.

Our sessions are packed full of strategies and demonstrations of techniques. At the start of each session, we'll give you a packet full of examples and guides; then we'll spend the time going through the material together. Of course, there's always room for questions from you.

Dr. Ross MCAT is the only company with a Goal Score Guarantee. Find out more by e-mailing info@DrRossMCAT.com
DrRossMCAT2013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad