Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgsrpg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
My Powerbook 15" is making this hissing noise when I plug in external speakers to the line out jack. With some toying around, I noticed this only happens when the power is plugged in. The noise even happens even when no sound is playing. I also noticed that that the power cord doesn't even have to be all the way in; I just plugged it in halfway without the light on the end of the plug coming on and it still makes the hiss. Any way to fix it without making me run off battery? Thanks

xgsrpg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Counterfit said:
Are the speakers grounded properly?

Where do I check for that? :confused: lol

All I know is they work fine when hooked up to my Dell (and I don't move them; the speakers are in the same place when i plug them into PB). I know it's got something to do with the power from the power cord, but I don't know what. I noticed this also happens if I plug the cord into my iPod and its charger is plugged in. But as with the PB, when I pull the power out of the dock connector it works fine.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
just plug in the charger or the speakers into a different wall socket. are you using an el cheapo power strip? make sure they aren't near each other either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.