Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarngerine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
OSX does not recognize the NTFS partition of Boot Camp Windows 7 I have.
It is not mounted in Finder.

I went to Disk Utility to see the NTFS partition, the one I installed my Windows 7 on, but it says the format is in MS-DOS(FAT) whereas I clearly see it shows as NTFS on Windows 7. It is also greyed out, named disk0s3.

I tried to verify the disk and it fails as follows:

Verifying volume “disk0s3”
** /dev/disk0s3
Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: fcfcfc
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Even when I click repair disk, it fails and says I have to reformat.

VMWare cannot access the Boot Camp drive due to this issue.

What is the appropriate action? Everything from the Windows 7 end works perfectly (I can read from the Mac partition, Boot Camp Utility works great), but OSX (running latest 10.6.* SL) sees the drive as MS-DOS. It is not listed under Startup Disks (in OSX), and does not mount.

This was posted 2 weeks back by someone else and was unsolved (https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10638168#post10638168) but I wanted to try in this forum instead.

Things I've tried:
-Winclone does not work. OSX does not see the partition as NTFS.
-Cannot backup Windows 7 as a System Image because my external is not NTFS
-Heard about Casper 6, but having a hard time finding a torrent for it.

Is there anything I can do besides reformatting? My Win7 only has 2 more activations left.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
OSX does not recognize the NTFS partition of Boot Camp Windows 7 I have.
It is not mounted in Finder.

I went to Disk Utility to see the NTFS partition, the one I installed my Windows 7 on, but it says the format is in MS-DOS(FAT) whereas I clearly see it shows as NTFS on Windows 7. It is also greyed out, named disk0s3.

I tried to verify the disk and it fails as follows:

Verifying volume “disk0s3”
** /dev/disk0s3
Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: fcfcfc
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Even when I click repair disk, it fails and says I have to reformat.

VMWare cannot access the Boot Camp drive due to this issue.

What is the appropriate action? Everything from the Windows 7 end works perfectly (I can read from the Mac partition, Boot Camp Utility works great), but OSX (running latest 10.6.* SL) sees the drive as MS-DOS. It is not listed under Startup Disks (in OSX), and does not mount.

This was posted 2 weeks back by someone else and was unsolved (https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10638168#post10638168) but I wanted to try in this forum instead.

Things I've tried:
-Winclone does not work. OSX does not see the partition as NTFS.
-Cannot backup Windows 7 as a System Image because my external is not NTFS
-Heard about Casper 6, but having a hard time finding a torrent for it.

Is there anything I can do besides reformatting? My Win7 only has 2 more activations left.

Have you tried running chkdsk in Windows?

And as for activations, won't it recognize that you're installing Windows on the exact same computer as before? At least that's that XP used to do (unless you changed too many components)...

samth3mancgp

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Is there any known fix for this? I am having the exact same problem and have read a bunch of other threads about it. I don't want to have to reformat and start all over :(

Sorry for bumping an ancient thread.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
I don't understand why people even remotely expect a Mac OS X disk repair utility to be capable of repairing a Windows file system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.