Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 24, 2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Steve0407
macrumors newbie

Help, Cant restore iphone 3GS, unknown error 21

When attempting to synch my Iphone 3GS i was prompted to update the OS to 4.0.1. During the installation an error message appeared, unknown error 21 was given as the reason. After this the iphone has apparently entered 'recovery mode' and needs to be restored before it can be used again. However when i try to restore it it gives the unknown error 21 and doesnt complete the task. I was initially using ITunes 9.2.1 and have tried to restore on a different computer with another version of itunes but get the same error message. Looking up error 21 apple seems to suggest this is an error that occurs with anti virus software interfering but i am not running any anti virus software that i am aware of.

Can anyone help or have i bricked my iphone?
Steve0407 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:39 PM   #2
davidlanglands
macrumors newbie

Solution

Hi, Using a PC you need to produce a new account with admin settings. Then run Itunes and as you are a new user it reconfigures Itunes. Plug in your iphone and restore as normal.

I then went back to my normal account and restored from backup.

Works a treat!
davidlanglands is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting