Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.:ryan:.

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Hi there!

I searched and thought for sure this would've been answered elsewhere, but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, when I'm in the camera app in camera mode, the flash toggle is set to "auto". When I switch it to "on", nothing happens. However when I go to video mode and press, "on", it works fine. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Did you restore your iPhone from a backup of a 3G or 3Gs? If you did you may want to try restoring it again. But this time set it up as a new iPhone. Some people have discovered this bug.

ds111

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2009
Hi there!

I searched and thought for sure this would've been answered elsewhere, but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, when I'm in the camera app in camera mode, the flash toggle is set to "auto". When I switch it to "on", nothing happens. However when I go to video mode and press, "on", it works fine. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Theres nothing wrong with your phone. No need to restore anything.
Flash should not turn on in camera mode when you press "On" for photographical purposes.

"on" forces iPhone to use flash when taking a pic. Note: when TAKING a pic, not when just opening the app

"auto" lets iPhone choose if it needs the light or not.

"off" forces it to not use it.

Hope this helped.

.:ryan:.

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Theres nothing wrong with your phone. No need to restore anything.
Flash should not turn on in camera mode when you press "On" for photographical purposes.

"on" forces iPhone to use flash when taking a pic. Note: when TAKING a pic, not when just opening the app

"auto" lets iPhone choose if it needs the light or not.

"off" forces it to not use it.

Hope this helped.
Thank you so much! I was just expecting it to turn on like in the video camera mode. But all is well now!

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Is there a way to set the default setting to "off" ?
Whenever I set the flash to "off" and close and reopen the app, it defaults back to "auto." So, right now on my iPhone 4, I just keep the camera app open all the time (in the multitasking window) with the flash set to "off."

Please let me know if there is a way to set the default to "off." Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.