Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1
.:ryan:.
macrumors member

How to Turn on Flash in Camera Mode?

Hi there!

I searched and thought for sure this would've been answered elsewhere, but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, when I'm in the camera app in camera mode, the flash toggle is set to "auto". When I switch it to "on", nothing happens. However when I go to video mode and press, "on", it works fine. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
.:ryan:. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Did you restore your iPhone from a backup of a 3G or 3Gs? If you did you may want to try restoring it again. But this time set it up as a new iPhone. Some people have discovered this bug.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:05 AM   #3
ds111
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:ryan:. View Post
Hi there!

I searched and thought for sure this would've been answered elsewhere, but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, when I'm in the camera app in camera mode, the flash toggle is set to "auto". When I switch it to "on", nothing happens. However when I go to video mode and press, "on", it works fine. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Theres nothing wrong with your phone. No need to restore anything.
Flash should not turn on in camera mode when you press "On" for photographical purposes.

"on" forces iPhone to use flash when taking a pic. Note: when TAKING a pic, not when just opening the app

"auto" lets iPhone choose if it needs the light or not.

"off" forces it to not use it.

Hope this helped.
ds111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:47 AM   #4
.:ryan:.
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds111 View Post
Theres nothing wrong with your phone. No need to restore anything.
Flash should not turn on in camera mode when you press "On" for photographical purposes.

"on" forces iPhone to use flash when taking a pic. Note: when TAKING a pic, not when just opening the app

"auto" lets iPhone choose if it needs the light or not.

"off" forces it to not use it.

Hope this helped.
Thank you so much! I was just expecting it to turn on like in the video camera mode. But all is well now!
.:ryan:. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:02 AM   #5
StuLax18
macrumors 6502

It works like a normal camera flash...
StuLax18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:12 PM   #6
iphones4evry1
macrumors 65816

Is there a way to set the default setting to "off" ?
Whenever I set the flash to "off" and close and reopen the app, it defaults back to "auto." So, right now on my iPhone 4, I just keep the camera app open all the time (in the multitasking window) with the flash set to "off."

Please let me know if there is a way to set the default to "off." Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting