Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
I have received my 2nd replacement iSight from Apple support today.

See https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/90298/ for original fault.

Anyway, the 2nd replacement does similar to the first replacement:

After a couple of minutes idling in iChat (to test) the image freezes, if I force quit iChat and re-launch I'm told the camera is in use by another application.

This can't be another faulty replacement surly.

I'm using OS X 10.3.6 on my PowerMac dual 1.25 GHz (FW800)

I tested the 1st replacement under the following conditions:

Different firewire cable.
Only firewire device connected.
On iMac G5.
On 10.3.5 booted from my firewire drive.

Please HELP !

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Do you have a video program open - like iMovie, iStopMotion, etc? Whenever I have one of those running alongside iChatAV the iSight sometime has trouble figuring out which program to work with.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
aricher said:
Do you have a video program open - like iMovie, iStopMotion, etc? Whenever I have one of those running alongside iChatAV the iSight sometime has trouble figuring out which program to work with.

No.

Will be running to live tests with my partner to her iMac G5 on our home network later.

Will also test new camera on the iMac G5.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Nothing like videochatting to someone who is 10 feet away. Seriously though - good luck testing it out - let us know how it goes.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Just tested PowerMac (with iSight) to iMac G5 chat.

Within a couple of minutes the video froze and the audio stopped :(

Just testing iMac G5 (with iSight) to PowerMac now.

:(

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Well the iMac G5 briefly recognised the iSight before it froze, did not have chance to start chat.

Now camera is just listed as 'firewire device' in system profiler, even after re-booting and re-seating the firewire plug.

Just tested back on my powermac, same here not just a 'firewire device' not iSight show in system profiler.

Seems completely dead now, that's 2 faulty cameras from Apple support.

Will call them in sec, NOT impressed.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I wouldn't be impressed either - I'd be pissed. Apple will make it right and give you a new camera. If it still happens after that then it may be a software issue - is everything up to date on your Macs - especially iChatAV?

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
aricher said:
I wouldn't be impressed either - I'd be pissed. Apple will make it right and give you a new camera. If it still happens after that then it may be a software issue - is everything up to date on your Macs - especially iChatAV?

Spent an hour on the phone to Apple support this afternoon, this issue was escalated whilst I was on the phone.

Apple technical could come up with no software issue, or possible hardware issue that is causing this.

Another replacement camera will be sent, when they have collected this one.

The only odd thing is that both replacement cameras have the same fault, they are obviously reconditioned cameras, therefore maybe a replacement component issue.

If this happens with the 3rd replacement camera I have to take my Mac to be tested to check for a firewire hardware fault - I think this is VERY unlikely as both my PowerMac and iMac G5 show the same issue.

2 faulty Macs - one brand new ??
2 faulty refurbished cameras ??

Which is more likely.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Obviously the refurbished cameras is more likely - I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this. once you get a solution that works though you'll really love the iSight. Let us know what happens.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
aricher said:
Obviously the refurbished cameras is more likely - I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this. once you get a solution that works though you'll really love the iSight. Let us know what happens.

I loved it for the first 6 months it worked :)

Did you see my other thread, as the original camera I purchased died - thank God that was a different problem.

Neil

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Well received replacement camera #3 yesterday, have tested on my PowerMac G4 and iMac G5.

It appears to work OK this time :)

This means Apple support sent me two faulty replacement iSights, which is not very good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.