Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
I'm thinking about an iPad but I am not sure it will suit my needs. I have a quick question about Quick Office, Doc2Go, iwork, etc.

I frequently receive word documents that have the "track changes" feature enabled. It is imperative that I be able to see changes from other users, make changes and send out documents via email for others to review.

Do any of the iPad document editors support this functionality?

Thanks

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
I've looked around and it appears the answer to this is a big "no" right now. That is disappointing. I guess the only way is through logmein or one of the remote desktop apps.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Unfortunately, no. I've done a lot of looking into this as well, and found a lot of comments online from other users begging for the same thing. Go visit the Facebook page for Quickoffice and you'll see a lot of requests for this. But so far, the response is "we have no announcements at this time..."

I gotta think it is being worked on, given the push for it.

In the meantime, your options are:

1. Have people PDF the document to you, then mark up using iAnnotate PDF (I really like this app!! Works seamlessly with Acrobat.)
2. Remote into your desktop PC with an RDP or VNC client, and run Word remotely (obviously not useful in all situations).
3. Use one of the iPad Word apps to edit the document, and just make the changes red or something (convoluted at best, and you can't read others' comments).

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Thanks redman,

That was basically what I thought. Good ideas and I had not heard about iAnnotate. That looks like a great app.

Yes it is. The UI is a little different and takes some getting used to, but then again, so is the markup UI in Adobe Acrobat on the PC (which it emulates to some degree). Once you get a rhythm going, it's fairly efficient. I use a Pogo Stylus to do my markups, because it's just more natural than a pen.

You cannot do "direct" text markups in iAnnotate like you can in Acrobat, but you can instead manually draw a line through text you want to delete, then add a note and type your new text in there. The person you are sending the markups to will be able to open the PDF in Acrobat, and all the markups show up normally. They can then copy-paste your text out of your notes and put them in the doc. Not the most efficient in the world, but it does work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.