Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:36 PM   #1
felixxiano
macrumors newbie

Screen Protectors that Won't Come Off w Case?

I've got an iFrogz case for my iPhone 4. I immediately bought a case protector, but it never fit because it was slightly too large and the case was too tight.
Have you guys been successful finding a case+screen protector climb that won't interfere with each other?
Thanks
felixxiano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:50 AM   #2
chanerz
macrumors 6502a

bumper and sgp. or bumper and power support
chanerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:32 PM   #3
jps1012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixxiano View Post
I've got an iFrogz case for my iPhone 4. I immediately bought a case protector, but it never fit because it was slightly too large and the case was too tight.
Have you guys been successful finding a case+screen protector climb that won't interfere with each other?
Thanks
+1
jps1012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Ferris23
macrumors 68020

I use a bumper and a Speck Geometric, neither of those mess with my screen shield.
Ferris23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:00 PM   #5
jps1012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris23 View Post
I use a bumper and a Speck Geometric, neither of those mess with my screen shield.
What screen protector do you use?
jps1012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:02 PM   #6
pikkashoe
macrumors regular

Im currently using a belkin clear vue with the switch easy screen protector, no issues with my set up.
Going to get a PS once readily available.
pikkashoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:12 PM   #7
meechy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanerz View Post
bumper and sgp. or bumper and power support
Wrong, i have the sgp ultra clear and a bumper, and the edges of the screen protector life up due to the bumper.
meechy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Bootsie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by meechy View Post
Wrong, i have the sgp ultra clear and a bumper, and the edges of the screen protector life up due to the bumper.
Ugh! This is very frustrating! I keep getting conflicting reports on this. I have a Phantomskinz Matte Back, and SGP OP front, and I just want to know if it will work with the bumper and Scoshe bandEDGE.
Photo Gallery
Bootsie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:30 PM   #9
mrknowitall
macrumors newbie

Quote:
What's the ultra clear? I assume you are referring to the Incredible Shield Ultra Coat or the Steinheil Ultra Crystal, but now sure which.

For the record the bumper and Steinheil Ultra Crystal work perfectly without any lifting on my phone and my wife's.
mrknowitall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:16 PM   #10
Neoaucourant
macrumors member

Can anyone confirm that PowerSupport screen protectors will not lift when used with the apple bumper?
Neoaucourant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:34 AM   #11
actionvaughn
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoaucourant View Post
Can anyone confirm that PowerSupport screen protectors will not lift when used with the apple bumper?
I have the front and back protectors and they work without any trouble.
actionvaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:48 AM   #12
sparrky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
Ugh! This is very frustrating! I keep getting conflicting reports on this. I have a Phantomskinz Matte Back, and SGP OP front, and I just want to know if it will work with the bumper and Scoshe bandEDGE.
I have the exact same setup, and both the Apple bumper and Scosche bandEdge do not lift them. The eBay knock-off bumpers (the ones with the metal buttons that look exactly like Apple's) DO lift them. But the genuine Apple bumper does not.
sparrky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:23 AM   #13
decx
macrumors newbie

I'm using Incase Snap Case with PS Crystal and works just fine.
decx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 07:26 AM   #14
rapaleeman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The ultra clear (the one without the solution stuff you spray on) does not lift due to the bumper unless you put it on wrong. If it is lined up perfectly it won't do that. I used to use one until I switched to the Power Support Anti Glare (don't scratch as easy, I hate fingerprints, and I personally think the PS ones are easier to put on).

Overall the thing to look for isn't which screen protector, but which case won't lift them. Most of the sliders will lift them and so will a few of the snap on covers that actually wrap around the glass on the front.

You should be fine with any silicone case, most Speck cases (Candyshell, Pixelskin HD, etc...), and the Otterbox Commuter. If you have an anti-fingerprint you can also throw it in an Otterbox Defender, the clear ones tend to stick a little more the built-in screen protector on the Defender.
rapaleeman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 07:45 AM   #15
lgreenberg
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to lgreenberg Send a message via MSN to lgreenberg Send a message via Yahoo to lgreenberg Send a message via Skype™ to lgreenberg
The iFrogz Luxe is notorious for causing the screen shield to bubble up - as are most slider style cases (Incase etc.)

There are a few companies that make smaller screen shields (SGP includes one with their slider I believe) but mostly it's trial and error until you find one that works.

The other option is to avoid slider style case altogether and then it's not usually an issue.

If you prefer sliders I suggest looking at the Case Crown Gilder. It doesn't have an issue with any screen shields because of the way it's designed.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 07:57 AM   #16
wattsja
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrky View Post
I have the exact same setup, and both the Apple bumper and Scosche bandEdge do not lift them. The eBay knock-off bumpers (the ones with the metal buttons that look exactly like Apple's) DO lift them. But the genuine Apple bumper does not.
I too have the same setup and can confirm that the Phantom Skinz Matte back and SGP OP front shield WILL work with the bumper or [my favorite] the Scosche bandEDGE.

Having said that, it will depend on how straight and centered your front and back protectors were installed.
wattsja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 08:56 AM   #17
gnychis
macrumors 6502

i sanded the iFrogz luxe case down a little bit on the inside and I could fit front and back protector.
gnychis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 08:59 AM   #18
djransom
macrumors 68040

Apple Bumper + Power Support Anti-Glare
Speck Pixelskin HD + Power Support Anti-Glare
Griffin Reveal + Power Support Anti-Glare
Speck Candyshell + Power Support Anti-Glare

Those are the combos I've tried that work. I'm currently rocking Griffin Reveal + Power Support Anti-Glare
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:49 PM   #19
decx
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djransom View Post
Apple Bumper + Power Support Anti-Glare
Speck Pixelskin HD + Power Support Anti-Glare
Griffin Reveal + Power Support Anti-Glare
Speck Candyshell + Power Support Anti-Glare

Those are the combos I've tried that work. I'm currently rocking Griffin Reveal + Power Support Anti-Glare
Though not from personal experience, I know quite a few people have had problems with the Pixelskin HD in combination with a screen protector. The problem is that the lip of the skin does extend just past the glass edge to where the protector is.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:50 PM   #20
mpossoff
macrumors 68020

Clear-coat
mpossoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:56 PM   #21
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by decx View Post
Though not from personal experience, I know quite a few people have had problems with the Pixelskin HD in combination with a screen protector. The problem is that the lip of the skin does extend just past the glass edge to where the protector is.
I know there were some problems when Pixelskin attempted to fix the initial Pixelskin problem and then they rectified the issue.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 04:36 PM   #22
decx
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djransom View Post
I know there were some problems when Pixelskin attempted to fix the initial Pixelskin problem and then they rectified the issue.
Those issues were mainly with flash glare, the screen protector issue isn't really a problem as it is inherent in the overall design of the case (even with rev 2). This is somewhat off topic but since you brought up the revision, the rev 2 Pixelskin HD actually had new drawbacks as it used a stiffer TPU material than rev 1, so the buttons were reportedly harder to press.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 09:13 PM   #23
sg01
macrumors newbie

I have the SGP and Speck Pixelskin HD. No problems.
sg01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:31 PM   #24
BearsFan34
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to BearsFan34
I got a few packs of the screen protector + "full body protector" (which means a protector for the back) from Monoprice. I think for 5 complete sets (each with a front/back) I paid $9 bucks (US) or $10 or something.

So far the front *AND* back protectors work with both the InCase Clear snap case and the Smoke snap case; same is true with a gunmetal iFrogz LuxeLean iPhone 4 case.

It's overkill, I realize, to use front and back protectors + a case...but for what I paid for simple screen protection, figured I'd go the rest of the way & get the back protector in the event I do want to go caseless.
Apple TV 3rd Generation 1080p
BearsFan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories